Astronomers Complete First International Asteroid Tracking Exercise

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
An international team of astronomers led by NASA scientists successfully completed the first global exercise using a real asteroid to test global response capabilities. However, I'm not sure this is good news for the public as a whole. Do you really want to know the next large scale extinction is coming? On the other hand, if we see it far enough in advance we can call Bruce Willis and his team and they'll save us all. Seriously though, this really is a good thing and knowing far enough in advance does give us at least some kind of chance to possibly deflect a killer asteroid. Have to see it before you can stop it.

In addition to the observation campaign, NASA used this exercise to test communications between the many observers and also to test internal U.S. government messaging and communications up through the executive branch and across government agencies, as it would during an actual predicted impact emergency.

I think rather than destroying them or changing their trajectory , we should find a way to collect them and mine them. Only how do you stop an object with that among of speed?

I think rather than destroying them or changing their trajectory , we should find a way to collect them and mine them. Only how do you stop an object with that among of speed?

Attachments

• af97bad44d0e53cde6188abb13737c2a--sharks-with-lasers-shark-tank.jpg
    af97bad44d0e53cde6188abb13737c2a--sharks-with-lasers-shark-tank.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 12
An international team of astronomers led by NASA scientists successfully completed the first global exercise using a real asteroid to test global response capabilities. However, I'm not sure this is good news for the public as a whole. Do you really want to know the next large scale extinction is coming? On the other hand, if we see it far enough in advance we can call Bruce Willis and his team and they'll save us all. Seriously though, this really is a good thing and knowing far enough in advance does give us at least some kind of chance to possibly deflect a killer asteroid. Have to see it before you can stop it.

In addition to the observation campaign, NASA used this exercise to test communications between the many observers and also to test internal U.S. government messaging and communications up through the executive branch and across government agencies, as it would during an actual predicted impact emergency.

Screw Bruce Willis, I will do it for free.

Simple, you dont. You just have to alter its trajectory enough to make it eventually end up in a stable orbit. That might take a small or a very large amount of energy to do depending on how much modification the orbit needs and what kind of velocity we are talking about. Note it might not be moving all that fast relative to us or it could be a head on at millions of mph...

Bruce is entirely too busy making B-flicks, an earth destroying asteroid would be the only thing that would stop that though.

Back