• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Astro A40 2011 Edition

I'd say the only thing worthwhile from this company are their very own amps if you do console gaming or don't want to use x-fi in your gaming rig.

Want a closed pair with tons of bass and good positioning at the same time ? Get a dt770/80 PRO and pair it up with their mixamp you won't regret it :)

Here's my own astro setup btw http://imgur.com/IjWyN

edit : i personally prefer x-fi cmss3d over dolby headphone, if you want an audio setup just for pc fps gaming then get a x-fi xtremegamer, a zalman clip and a pair of jvc HA-RX700 and be done with it, or RX900 if you really want some extra bass.
 
I have a pair of last years A40s. The build quality is poor. The head phones are height adjustable, but one side will no long hold in place on its one.

Oh and they don't sound like they are much better than the old ones. It sounds like a new mic and new ear pads. It says a upgrade kit will be available for old astros consisting of the new mic and ear pads.
 
Last edited:
i personally prefer x-fi cmss3d over dolby headphone, if you want an audio setup just for pc fps gaming then get a x-fi xtremegamer, a zalman clip and a pair of jvc HA-RX700 and be done with it, or RX900 if you really want some extra bass.

+1

CMSS 3D is just better than Dolby. The reason I continue to by Creative's sound cards.
 
I picked up the A40 and Mixamp in 2009. The headphones aren't great, you can do WAY better. The Mixamp is very cool though. I recommend picking up a different headset and the Mixamp.
 
If you intend to use it with a console it is hard to beat the MixAmp.
 
If you intend to use it with a console it is hard to beat the MixAmp.

This. The headphones aren't bad sonic wise but are over priced. The mix amp is just so useful for gaming its crazy.

Being able to use one mix amp with a mic through a 360 , PS3 and PC is a real nice thing for the money.
 
The JVC 700 and 900 will torch the astro in every category and they are what? half the price? Dunno anymore. I "discovered" the JVC. I still think they are the best full sized headphones in their price range and certainly best any gaming headsets regardless of price.
 
Would you guys say the Amp is better than a dedicated soundcard on a PC like an ASUS Essence STX? I mainly use my ATH-M50 and ATH-AD900, and MV40s
 
Would you guys say the Amp is better than a dedicated soundcard on a PC like an ASUS Essence STX? I mainly use my ATH-M50 and ATH-AD900, and MV40s

I would say the portable nature of the Astro amp gives it a major advantage allowing it to work on different platforms. But in terms of quality the Asus Essence STX crushes it , but that sound card is designed for high fidelity audio and not really for gaming (although for headphone gaming its fantastic).

If you mostly use the PC than the Asus Essence STX would be the higher quality product. But for versatility the Astro amp beats it.
 
Last edited:
You can go even cheaper if you don't care about adjusting game/voice balance on the fly ( i think that features works only on ps3/360 anyway ) http://www.limexb360.co.uk/product/Turtle_Beach_Ear_Force_DSS_TB-DSS

Keep in mind that for pc use you will need a soundcard first that outputs 5.1 through DDL, I did a direct comparison between x-fi headphone cmss3d and astro mixamp dolby headphone with everything set up correctly etc, I didn't really like the latter although it's my only choice when i do console gaming.
 
Back
Top