Astaro Home > Torrent rules ?

dashpuppy

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, i just spent 1 hour playing with Utorrent, and opening and trying different ports. but for the life of me i can't get Utorrent to work behind Astaro home.

I tried making a new rule, then setting the port that the rule has in utorrent, but that didn't work either.

Ideas ?

I did check the log, and it looks like it want's TONS of port open ?

Anyone on here really good at Astaro ?

Make sure you turn off the IDS. Thats the one thing that i kept forgetting to do when I would try to download torrents. I have bigger problems now though. For some reason i keep having a kernel panic after its been installed and has an uptime of a few days to a week, but other then that I love it. I have a ipsec tunnel running from my house to my moms work so that i can keep an eye on the network there. Also use the ssl vpn every once in a while.

If i remember correctly when you install Astaro there is an option in the initial setup to specifically allow uTorrent traffic. Unless i'm remembering incorrectly.

You are remembering correctly Hallis.
DP, by default Astaro will have lots of outbound filters in place, unlike Untangle and home grade routers. You'll find many things won't appear to work, such as online games. You can get past this quickly by making a packet filter rule that allows "any" outbound traffic to access "any" on the internet. This is a quick and dirty approach for a home network. Obviously if you want to learn to set it up strictly and/or for a business environment, you don't want to take that easy road approach, you'd want to find out how to allow out exactly whatever you want.

From there, you have your IM/P2P module, where you can enable/disable that specific filter...and get more granular as you'll see on that page.

You want to make sure bittorrent is not blocked in the IM/P2P control. Also, configure uTorrent to use a single port, setup dynamic nat for that port and also a packet filter rule. BAM!

What do i put in destination ?

utorrent-nat.jpg

I believe you have it backwards. the Source should be the internet(Internet IPv4) and the traffic destination should be the internal network and then the destination should be the computer running utorrent. Thats how mines setup. I would think though you could make the traffic destination be the computer running utorrent also

Make sure you turn off the IDS. Thats the one thing that i kept forgetting to do when I would try to download torrents. I have bigger problems now though. For some reason i keep having a kernel panic after its been installed and has an uptime of a few days to a week, but other then that I love it. I have a ipsec tunnel running from my house to my moms work so that i can keep an eye on the network there. Also use the ssl vpn every once in a while.

I have the IDS/IPS running on mine with no problems. That wasn't always the case, however, took a bit of messing around to get that workin right without dropping ALL web traffic. :D

I have the IDS/IPS running on mine with no problems. That wasn't always the case, however, took a bit of messing around to get that workin right without dropping ALL web traffic. :D

Turning it off was the simplest solution I found on the astaro forum. I would assume that if i added my torrent ports to the exception list it would let them through. I never played with it though as it is not something that I do a lot now.

That's the internal IP address of your Astaro box. You need to set the destination to your computer that is doing the uTorrenting.

Turning it off was the simplest solution I found on the astaro forum. I would assume that if i added my torrent ports to the exception list it would let them through. I never played with it though as it is not something that I do a lot now.

Yeah, me either. I just refused to believe I couldn't get it working so I dicked around with it until it was running right. :D I even managed to get the webserver firewall thingy working to protect my WHS. :D

Yeah, me either. I just refused to believe I couldn't get it working so I dicked around with it until it was running right. :D I even managed to get the webserver firewall thingy working to protect my WHS. :D

sent you a pm!

I also hope hope i can get my new 220 astaro unit to protect eveything in the house, and have 2 vlans for my house :)

first to learn on the box i have now till the new 220 is here, then ill start more tasks.

j'

Ya I had the same thing going to protect my WHS, but then I changed it out to more of a media pc. I think my memory in the astaro computer is bad I reloaded it today and a few hours later it crashed. Only difference between this install and the last was I had the 64 bit install and today I used the 32 bit one. When I get sometime I am going to test it.

The colon strikes again!!!!

uh,, wait a minute.. *thinks* lol.

Glad you got it working!

YES YES! stoked,

This will be here in a few days !!

Astaro%20220.jpg

THEN i have to get it up and working with the home version.
I bought a rs232 To usb cable i get to learn putty now and other things.

I bought this astaro unit for a learning tool, because untangle is very easy works great, but it doesn't teach me rules and other things i wanted to learn.

I also want to learn & use astaro for my home, i'm building ( slowly) a 2008 Hyper V server / esxi so would like to learn about protecting my network and doing spam protection etc etc.

Back