Associated Press To Use 'Robot Journalists'

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Mar 6, 2015.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

All I'm saying is, when the Terminator shows up to cover women's volleyball and kills everyone at the event, just remember I told you so.

2. amddragonpc

amddragonpc [H]ard|Gawd

I noticed several years go, Chicago Sun-Times had been using "robot journalists" to start writing their little piece stories on all the shootings that occur. They would be these really short stories that would appear on their web site and they all started out the same, "Shots were fired at <street1> and <street2>. <x> people were injured. <x> people were killed. <x> were transported to <hospital1>. The remainder went to <hospital2>. No further information is available at this time. At a later time, a "real journalist" gets more detailed information and he or she updates the story. At that point, an authors name would appear on the story.

3. Mike89

Mike89 Gawd

All the journalists should be robots and just report the news as it is instead of spinning it in a particular direction. Something is really wrong with a journalist being bigger (as they see it) than the news itself.

4. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

My thoughts exactly.

5. amdfan25

amdfan25 2[H]4U

The LA Times use a robotic reporter to report earthquakes

6. OlIv0rIolI

OlIv0rIolI Gawd

If only colleges actually teach journalism. Too many graduates want to inject their own opinions into a story.

7. Converge

Converge [H]ard|Gawd

I've heard for a while now that there have been computer generated news articles popping up that pretty write themselves. I think it was originally some CIA program, honestly.

8. Parmenides

Parmenides [H]ardness Supreme

Student's want to take up journalism because they want to shape the scene and make the world a better place. Yes, I've heard confessed motives.

9. raz-0

raz-0 [H]ardness Supreme

Well there's two parts (at least) to real news. First is the facts. Second are the implications. While robot journalism might help with the first part, it won't do much for getting a good amount of coverage on the second, much less providing info on how an event can affect multiple interest groups rather than a journalist's pet politics.

10. fixedmy7970

fixedmy7970 Gawd

^ wat? implications? please, is a zombie outbreak occurs, I just want to know the facts, I already have prepared for the implications

11. smangular

smangular Limp Gawd

Is this just re-posting news from other sources?

12. Magnus

Magnus [H]ard|Gawd

ALL news, history and, current events are contextual whether they're reported by machines or people. To believe there is anything that can be or, should be "unbiased" is naive in the extreme. The difference is that biases of people are more easily understood and accounted for. Machines? Not so much.

13. mesyn191

mesyn191 2[H]4U

Yea bias has always been present in news and media and always will be as long as humans are involved in the process at some point. Google or read up on journalism in pre WWII US or better yet mid or late 1800's US. If you think the media is bad now, and its far from good IMO, you'd be blown away with how bad it was back then.

What matters or not is if the bias is based on facts or if its based on emotions, ideology, and hear say. The former is actually good, the latter isn't.