Assign names to IP's on home network?

n64man120

2[H]4U
OK for starters I know slim to nothing about networks so simple terms would be appreciated. I use VNC to controll my server, so I would have to type in 192.168.1.104 for instance. Is there a way to assign a name to that IP, so I could just put in "server" or some word rather ran an IP. Similar I suppose to how domains mask IP's

If all the machines are on the same network segment, you should just be able to type in the computer name instead of the IP, or, if you want to use some other name instead, just add entries in the hosts file of the machine you are using to make the remote connection.

If you have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled on all the machines on your network you can do just that.

Just go into your system properties ->click computer name tab (if your running windows XP on your machines). You'll see your computer name there.

If you are running windows 98 ->look at the properties of network neighbourhood ->network identification (I believe) and you'll see it in there.

Thanks canon, didn't realize it was that simple. It really amazes me how basic windows networking is to get running smoothly

Don't even tempt me to dash your perception of Windows networking by throwing in all the issues and such. ;-)

Thankfully this sounds like it helped you out. There are many ways to solve problems like this, but if this solved it, then we don't have to muddy the waters with them. :)

Yea I was going to post an edit, I'm sure its buggy, problematic, and so on just like everything else. But the plug and play aspect of just setting same workgroup name and being able to share files amazes me

Back