Asset and Inventory Software

DarkOne_BW

Limp Gawd
I know this isn't the most appropriate place to post this question, but since there are several IT managers and Sys Admins in this forum I figured I'd take a shot.

I'm looking for a piece of software (preferably OSS) that will do the following things in my school:

1) a fixed asset system for tracking hardware and software (computers, printers, switches, licenses... anything on which I can physically place an asset tag)
2) the ability for users to create support requests.
3) a warehouse-style inventory control for managing consumables like ink and toner.
4) integration with LDAP (Active Directory) for the users in the 2nd requirement.

Again, I would prefer OSS (free) but am willing to consider a purchase. I've looked at OpenIT (which lacks #3), we currently use One or Zero for the #2 (with #4) requirement. I’ve also considered TrackIT! from Numara Software, but the cost is outrageous for a mid-sized shop.

Can anyone recommend a solution?

I've used a program called Argis at my past company. It was actually one of the cool programs that they had.

I've been working on this for my own company. Not to thread-jack or anything, but we have similar requirements:

1. Ability to track and inventory ANY device with an asset tag. Whole computers, spare parts, switches, routers, phones, etc.

2. Support requests - with the thought that "notes" could be added to the assets, or somehow link the trouble report with the asset.

3. Inventory control for consumables (with an alert mechanism for re-ordering)

4. Associate equipment with a location - preferably on a map.

I wouldn't necessarily require AD integration, but wow would that be nice.

Software I've found so far, and we haven't bought anything or went with any package yet:

1. Spiceworks - I don't see how it can handle non-"whole computer" parts or other IT inventory. No helpdesk mechanism or inventory control.

2. ManageEngine AssetExplorer handles 1 easily. It doesn't do 2 or 3. 4 is done with a workaround "add to a group" Its free version handles 25 assets. We have more than that - at $795 for 250 assets I think even that one will top out - Its too expensive.

3. NetSimplicity "Visual Asset Manager" TEAM - This does 1 and 4 easily. 2 and 3 aren't handled at all. This is the only one so far that easily maps the data. It's pricey at about $1500 for 2 concurrent connections. (And this is the flat-file Access version they call TEAM. The SQL based solution with web access is significantly more).

4. ExpressMetrix "Express Inventory" seems to only handle those whole computers actually on the network. You must install a client on each computer. Barely does 1, no 2 3 or 4. Getting more towards the right price range at ~$500 for 25 computers. The rep claims that "non-whole computer inventory is coming in "the next release"". As someone who at one point sold $7000 construction take-off software - I know very well that "the next release" has everything and the kitchen sink, but never gets delivered.

5. Stackworks IRM "Information Resource Manager) OSS and VERY close to doing it all, handles 1,2,and 4. My problem is that I think integration into a Windows domain environment will be dodgy at best. This PHP/PEAR/Apache solution is probably the closest to what I actually need. It's been done on Windows, but no real documentation exists. I would have to convince my CEO to invest another $500 or so into some dedicated hardware to run this under Linux, and that would be incredibly hard to do after we spent $3000 on a dedicated Application server to bring all of our applications into one server, not to mention contrary to our long-term goals.

6. zCI is OSS and is a third to Stackworks IRM. It does 1, but its implementation is poor. No method to add anything other than what is "discovered", or any way to identify or group these.

7. OpenIT is OSS and handles 1,2, and 4. However its still listed as beta and I don't see all that much activity on sourceforge :/

Theres my list so far: Nothing will do it all, but I bet if I had $20G to spend things would be different.

I'm considering taking the plunge and doing it up in Access myself. Unfortunately I would only be able to do #1. I'm no SQL guy or PHP guy so #2 and 4 would be out the window, but I KNOW I could make #1 and #3 work the way I need them to (and those are the critical ones!)

1. Spiceworks - I don't see how it can handle non-"whole computer" parts or other IT inventory. No helpdesk mechanism or inventory control.

You just file it under user-defined. Not as elegant, but useful none the less. It has a help desk. A very functional help desk module.

This is just my initial impression of it; I've only been playing with it for a couple hours.

You just file it under user-defined. Not as elegant, but useful none the less. It has a help desk. A very functional help desk module.

This is just my initial impression of it; I've only been playing with it for a couple hours.

Ahh! Excellent! I wasn't aware of the helpdesk module. I've had about 10 minutes to look at it LOL.

This warrants a second look at spiceworks.

Agreed....Trackit does suck. I've used it in an enterprise settings and it was more of a PITA to use.

In my opinion any computer asset/inventory software that doesn't install an agent on the controlled computer is worthless. We used to use stuff that would scan the network, but the problem is that half the time it either wouldn't work or people had notebooks that weren't connected to the network except for once or twice a month, and some less frequent than that. With an agent on the PC, it sends info back whenever the machine gets online anywhere. Much better accuracy.

Look into AbsoluteTrack.

Alloy Navigator is incredibly promising... Lets see the cost...

According to: http://www.crn.com/software/197008183
Alloy Navigator 5.2 is priced at $3,845 for a three-agent license supporting 100 nodes, including maintenance. Nutley, N.J.-based Alloy Software provides one year of technical support and updates for the product.

(spits out coffee in comical jet all over LCD monitor).

Never gonna fly here... Lets see Spiceworks again.

You may want to look into this program/service. I believe it is exactly what you may be looking for, designed and programmed specifically for school districts. The application was designed to allow a user, technician, or administrator the ability to access any inventory or service request from anywhere in the district.

The mouseover link buttons on the webpage are currently not functional, but the links at the bottom of the site can be used for navigation.

There is an area for requesting more information if this sounds like a program/service you're interested in. There is also an e-mail link and phone number for any further questions.

District IT
http://www.districtit.com/default.asp

Thank you for your replies. I've been out since the 4th so my apologies for letting this thread sit without a reply until now.

After reading through your suggestions, I'd like to revise my requests to include one of bobdole369's items. Also, I'd forgotten to mention an additional option that some of your suggestions included:

1) a fixed asset system for tracking hardware and software (computers, printers, switches, licenses... anything on which I can physically place an asset tag)
2) the ability for users to create support requests.
3) a warehouse-style inventory control for managing consumables like ink and toner.
4) integration with LDAP (Active Directory) for the users in the 2nd requirement.
5) associate equipment with a location - preferably on a map.
6) ability to manage inventory/asset systems w/ a handheld device (palmOS/WinMobile)

At this point I'm not sure what direction I'll be heading. In our environment dedicating a box running linux for this purpose is well within reason, so I'm still leaning towards the OSS options.The DistrictIT.com website certainly is an interesting concept, but I'm not at all wild about having our data hosted with what looks like a fly-by-night organization.

First on the list for my team to tackle is Spiceworks. Next in line is contacting bobdole369 about creating a tech startup writing Asset and Inventory Control software. :D

Back