Assassin's Creed PC + Radeon 4850 - Artifacts?

defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
I just picked up this game for my 4850 system, and I've noticed a few things:

One, the Anisotropic filtering is off. I can see distinct mip-map lines on some surfaces.

Two, I'm seeing all sorts of lighting artifacts: when my character, NPCs or even walls get in the way of certain light sources, they are drawn OVER TOP of the obstacle, instead of being hidden from view. I haven't seen a game with such poor lighting effects for years, and after all the hype of this title's graphics, I can only assume they are artifacts.

I guess I could take a screen shot, but I'd have to install a utility to do so.

Okay, here are images of the problem:

Okay, see that checkerboard lighting pattern? That's from the window IN FRONT of my character. It should be occluded (blocked from view) when I walk in front of it.

2dgvmm0.jpg

More fun with lighting effects going right through me. You can see the six intense lights under the table, and also see a floor reflection effect below that. Neither should be visible, unless this game engine is crap and it does this for all cards.

i3rtir.jpg

Oh, looks like I'm not the only one who is too shiny. You can easily see two lights through the chick, two of the same lights from the picture above.

2nby16e.jpg

So, what the hell is this crap? Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my card?

I'm on Windows XP, 4GB ram, using Cat 8.6, no hotfix.

No idea... I just beat this game on my 4870 and vista x64 and never had any problems.

I have all my AA/AF on application preference and I have all my in game settings for Assasin's Creed on Max.

I am using 8.7 at the moment but I didnt notice anything when I had 8.6 either

I am runing in dx10 mode and vista is the only big difference that I can see. Perhaps run a driver cleaner and install 8.7s

im using 8.6 with my 4850 and just beat through the game the other day and it works fine without any artifacts

Back