Asrock Z87E-ITX

Nice one, they probably had a bug somewhere as it doesn't have any other info.

So today I found out what happens if you have your OS disk on SATA5 and plug in an eSATA cable (without drive attached !) to the share ESATA port. Windows 7 just BSO'D on me...

So today I found out what happens if you have your OS disk on SATA5 and plug in an eSATA cable (without drive attached !) to the share ESATA port. Windows 7 just BSO'D on me...

Sounds like a hoot! Always assumed they just had a simple BIOS option for the end-user to select either internal or external for the shared SATA port.. but that probably seems too safe and logical :D

New firmware !

Version 2.50
1. Update InstantFlash Module.
2. Support i7-4790K, i5-4690K and Intel® Pentium® G3258 EZ OC.
3. Adjust "Intel(R) Smart Connect Technology" setting.

Just popped this board into my NCASE M1...I've had the board sitting under my desk, unopened, for almost a year :D

Here's what I'm getting when I power up:

"The following Channel memory did not pass CPU memory test. Please remove the memory then plug again. Channel A."

Anyone seen this before? I reseated the RAM but that didn't help. Tried both sticks in slot B, both work fine there. I'm guessing my slot A might be dead...which is a total bummer because this board is actually an RMA from Newegg!! :confused::mad:

there are reviews on Newegg about the RAM slots on this motherboard being very flaky. mine is doing another weird thing from time to time. i got this error when i was disassembling my system:
fw1vg1.png

i guess it's related to RAM bank B (and it's the same bank that initiially gave me trouble)? or maybe not! i am only guessint (at best)!

i haven't had time to start the computer in 1.5 months now, but i'll test it again soon. i'll also report the result of my disassembly/reassembly.

Last edited:
Anyone's microphone volume low? I have a desktop mic and I have to bring it right up to my mouth for any sound to be heard.

Have you tried different microphones ?
Where is the microphone input volume set to ?
Have you tried the Mic Gain switch in the Windows Sound settings ?
etc etc.

Considering the ALC1150 sound chip is not exclusive to this board and many people have it, I doubt the board is at fault here.

Everything works, but the mic volume is really low with all the settings to the max and mic boost to max. Tried with windows driver and realtek, same results. Have not tried with a different mic, but I know the mic is fine as I tried it on a different pc.

I just picked up one of these on clearance from my local microcenter - I had the right combination of parts to make use of it (i5-4670k, low profile ballistix tactical, mSATA SSD) and it seems to be having trouble with my Crucial M500 480GB SSD.

I know the drive works - I've used it on another board with an mSATA slot just fine - but whenever I try an Ubuntu install I wind up getting an error, and then the drive is no longer detected until I restart. Pretty much the exact same problem Synomenon posted about almost a year and a half ago, which seems to be limited to 480GB drives?

Did anyone ever figure out what the exact cause might be, and/or a solution?

Well, I e-mailed ASrock support about the mSATA thing. Dunno if I'll hear back from them.

I had just sold a 256GB mSATA drive like two days before I bought the board, would have been nice to have it for testing. :/ Ah well.

Dunno if it's related, but my system browser doesn't show the mSATA card either. I'm curious to see if it would have displayed & worked properly with a smaller drive.

Well, here's their reply:

There is no compatible issue using the mSATA on Z87E-ITX. Unless is bad connector or bad mSATA device.

We have tested with crucial 128M since we dont have 480GB. I would suggest you contact the seller for mainboard exchange and see if that helps.

They got back to me super fast, pretty impressed by that. But, I guess it's time to mess with the mSATA slot and see if I can't get it to work properly.

Yeah it may not be seated properly or the tiniest of dust particles might be interfering with one of the pins. But mSATA is basically SATA so it should work like any other SATA device. But be sure to check you haven't plugged in any device on the corresponding SATA port, port 4 I believe. Otherwise it will indeed not work.

I spent some time with it earlier today and discovered that the mSATA slot on the board is at an ever-so-slight angle. So if I just put the drive in and push it down, it's actually off alignment from the screw hole by 1mm or so. As soon as I screw it down it slides out just a teeny bit on the end of the port.

I don't know if that's the cause, but I'll have to email asrock back and see if it's something they would RMA for - I could just return it, I suppose, but it was the last one at the store and I'm not sure it'd be worth the hassle. I can just pick up a regular SATA SSD for the system and put the mSATA drive back in the other one I pulled it from.

Thanks Phuncz.

[edit] rather than bump the thread again, just posting an update: 8 Dec, they offered to just replace the board for me. So, that's that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: Those of you that also own this board. Can you control 3 pin fans with it? Mine seems to ignore my custom profile.....

Edit: whoops wrong board, I meant to put this in the z97 board thread.

Last edited:
Back