Asrock Z87E-ITX

Excellent ! I also see they have added SATA Express and M.2 :eek:
The WiFi + BT module may have changed, it now has a EMI shield.

I guess Asrock will sell me another board in a few months :)

I will most likely be buying this motherboard aswell :D especialy knowing that it has SATA Express & M.2. I just hope that the M.2 is not wired to the SATA Express. I know on the Z87E-ITX you loose out on Sata port 1 if you use MSATA So I hope its tied to Sata 1 & 2 and not 5&6 :)

Last edited:
Anyone have a reference style GTX780 Ti in a Z87E-ITX with ultra-fast boot on? The company that makes this card says that the vBIOS version on the card does support UEFI GOP.

I'm getting this message:
hxuhIdF.jpg

I've got the EVGA 780 (non-Ti) with reference cooler, and ultra-fast boot works fine here. I don't see why it wouldn't be the same with the 780Ti.

I will most likely be buying this motherboard aswell :D especialy knowing that it has SATA Express & M.2. I just hope that the M.2 is not wired to the SATA Express. I know on the Z87E-ITX you loose out on Sata port 1 if you use MSATA So I hope its tied to Sata 1 & 2 and not 5&6 :)

Well Looks like I found my answer :eek:
Straight From ASRocks Website
"1 x SATA Express Connector (shared with SATA3_4, SATA3_5 and M.2 Socket)"

This also means that the M.2 socket isn't actually gimped like the Asus Impact motherboard one, which is a good thing. I don't see any use for SATA Express for now when boards only come with one port (and have you seen those cables ?!), I'd much rather have an M.2 card that's smaller than a RAM stick that's equally fast, needs no cables and doesn't waste case space. Especially for mITX, these are very valid arguments.

This also means that the M.2 socket isn't actually gimped like the Asus Impact motherboard one, which is a good thing. I don't see any use for SATA Express for now when boards only come with one port (and have you seen those cables ?!), I'd much rather have an M.2 card that's smaller than a RAM stick that's equally fast, needs no cables and doesn't waste case space. Especially for mITX, these are very valid arguments.

I do Agree. Have you seen Asus's Board yet? They forwent the Sata Express/sata 5 & 6 and put a m.2 on the bottom aswell.

Great, it would be sad for an mITX board to waste space on a SATA Express connector.

Pretty lame response from ASRock regarding ultra-fast boot with my GTX780 ti. No explanation at all.

Support <[email protected]>

to me, TSD

Our support team have found some incompatible issues with this video card and the motherboard; please replace your motherboard or select a different video card

ASRock America Support

Replace my Z87E-ITX or get a new video card.

That's indeed lame. But do you really need Ultra-Fast Boot ? Even with Fast Boot, my PC is booted before my screen turns on.

That's indeed lame. But do you really need Ultra-Fast Boot ? Even with Fast Boot, my PC is booted before my screen turns on.

I don't NEED it, but I want to use it. I shouldn't have to shrug this off and let it go, nor should I have to go out and buy a new motherboard or GTX780 Ti.

No point in complaining here though, since no one here can fix the problem anyway.

I don't NEED it, but I want to use it. I shouldn't have to shrug this off and let it go, nor should I have to go out and buy a new motherboard or GTX780 Ti.

No point in complaining here though, since no one here can fix the problem anyway.

You need to confirm that this particular GC has support for UEFI with it's current FW. I would also check to see if there is a FW that might work better. Then maybe see if their is any custom FW available for it that will add that support. I would replace the Mobo only if you are sure that the GC would work correctly on any other board.

The manufacturer has already confirmed that the vBIOS version on the card does support UEFI GOP. I've looked at custom vBIOSes, but people on other forums where I've found them won't speak up on whether the custom vBIOSes support UEFI GOP.

The manufacturer has already confirmed that the vBIOS version on the card does support UEFI GOP. I've looked at custom vBIOSes, but people on other forums where I've found them won't speak up on whether the custom vBIOSes support UEFI GOP.

Saying they support it and actually supporting it are two different things. I built a system using a ref Sapphire R290 for a co-worker. Thought I would get insta boot up and running. Sapphire was telling people that one of the two bioses was UEFI capable and it turned out not to be the case. In the end people were loading one of the Bios's up with one from a Asus or MSI to get it to work.

My main point is that it would suck to swap out the motherboard "for unknown incompatibility" issues and find out that the card isn't going to work with most or any boards.

How do you flash a different vBIOS from another brand's reference GTX780 Ti onto another GTX780 Ti (ex. reference EVGA to reference MSI)?

How do you flash a different vBIOS from another brand's reference GTX780 Ti onto another GTX780 Ti (ex. reference EVGA to reference MSI)?

Dont know, I know its standard practice in the AMD camp, its just the solution that a lot of users were doing at the time I did the research. Probably limited to reference cards. That doesn't mean that there can't be a custom BIOS.

Just got this motherboard a few days ago from eBay.
I've always been an Asus guy, and this little board seems to do it's job.
I kind of prefer Asus' bios/AI Suite though..
I just updated to latest bios (2.30 via instant flash) and everything is running fine so far..

Few questions:
1.) Ultra fast boot - doesn't work. Can't even get into windows.. Upon reboot it goes straight into the bios again. Any idea whats wrong?

2.) Current OC settings in BIOS:
46x cpu ratio
34x cache ratio
Vcore (override) - 1.280v
Vring/Uncore (override) - 1.250v
Vin - 1.900v
XMP profile 1

CPU-Z can't detected my core speed on ver 1.64 or 1.69.
In my UEFI Bios, you can see that in the first bios picture attached that it shows it's clearly running at 4600mhz
But in Asrocks A-Tuning (which is like Asus' Ai Suite III) shows it as 34x for cpu/cache ratio.
CPU-Z is showing Vcore at 1.278v which is slightly low than the VID (1.280v).
But I guess that's close enough- just want to know why core speed is not showing...
Not sure what the problem is... my previous Asus-Z87A board was fine with the same chip.

Sorry for the crap pictures, as they were taken with a cell phone camera.

3.) My Wifi is working fine. It's actually a little faster than my Wifi Adapter (Pci-e) from tp-link that was on my last Asus motherboard. However, I want to upgrade it to intel. Does anyone know the model/part #?

Last edited:
Please resize those images to something like 1280 pixels wide. Your Windows screenshot is also distorted, it's missing a few lines which makes it hard to read.
The ASRock UEFI also supports screenshots, I believe you can press the PrtScn button when you have a FAT32 formatted USB stick inserted. It should be explained in the UEFI help screen.

1. The manual has this to say:
Please note that Ultra Fast mode is only supported by Windows 8 and the VBIOS must support UEFI GOP if you are using an external graphics card.

2. When the CPU is idle, it will clock lower. You obviously know that since you are overclocking. But the UEFI doesn't show this behavior and just shows you the "results" if I understand it correctly.

3. Intel AC-7260 PCIe Mini-Card, which I believe the correct SKU to be "7260.HMWWB"

Confirm that you've performed these steps to get ultra-fast boot working:

- Iinstall Windows 8 in UEFI mode and that there is an EFI system partition.
- "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" enabled in Windows 8's Power Options.
- Make sure you video card has a vBIOS that supports UEFI GOP.
- Ultra Fast Boot enabled and CSM disabled in the Z87E-ITX UEFI.

I did all of these and ultra-fast boot still fails once in awhile. My video card is a reference model GTX780 Ti. ASRock's support is a joke, suggesting I get a new motherboard or new video card, after they couldn't help me with the intermittent ultra-fast booting.

It's not ASRock's fault if the GPU's GOP support isn't working. Topweasel already encountered a similar issue where the GPU is to blame. So I wouldn't blame ASRock for not fixing this for you if this feature is dependant on a piece of hardware they have no control over or certainty it works.

The GPU's vBIOS is compatible with UEFI GOP. Several others on another forum verified this already. These guys mod GPU BIOSes in their spare time.

I5-4670K
Core Ratio: 46x
Vid(what I entered in Bios): 1.287v
Vcore: ???
Cache(uncore) Ratio: 34x
Cache(uncore) Voltage: 1.250v
VCCIN(input voltage): 1.900v
Stability Test: Prime 95, 27.9 1344/1344
C-States enabled
EIST(speed step)/turbo boost disabled --->CPU OC Fixed mode enabled
Not delidded
2x8GB 1866 9-10-9-28 @1.500v &#8211;XMP Profile #1
Asrock Z87e-itx
H100i

I managed to get my core speed to show up on cpuz... version 1.69 though and not 1.64.
But now I'm trying to figure out what my Vcore is? Vcore does not show up on HWInfo or Cpuz 1.64?
Is it 1.288v off of Cpuz 1.69?
Man I miss my Asus z87 mobo... I think Asus has a better handle on the Haswell's..
I want to keep it on "manual mode" (which I'm assuming is CPU OC Fixed Mode) for a 24/7 overclock and not adaptive. Are these the correct settings for a "manual" oc?

Edit: Here's some better pictures of my current Bios:

And here's a pic of HWInfo/Cpu-Z/Real Temp:

Last edited:
Anyone here using this with a Plextor mSATA drive? I was checking Event Viewer and noticed a ton of errors in EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv lately. Some quick googling showed that it's caused by some interaction of the drive's Opal encryption subsystem, but I don't even have Bitlocker turned on (and plus this motherboard doesn't have a TPM).

I was sort of wondering if anyone else was having the same issue. I've tried swapping out both the motherboard and the drive, and neither helped. For what it's worth, it only started after Windows 8.1 Update was installed. I wonder if something having to do with automatic encryption was changed in that update or something.

Anyone know when ASRock added support for 2nd gen. Haswells in their UEFI? I got a reply today from Eric at ASRock saying that the Z87E-ITX will work with the I7-4790.

I don't even see a v2.20. I see a 2.10 then 2.30 and both were released late last year, well before the refresh Haswells were available.

Anyone here using this with a Plextor mSATA drive? I was checking Event Viewer and noticed a ton of errors in EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv lately. Some quick googling showed that it's caused by some interaction of the drive's Opal encryption subsystem, but I don't even have Bitlocker turned on (and plus this motherboard doesn't have a TPM).

I was sort of wondering if anyone else was having the same issue. I've tried swapping out both the motherboard and the drive, and neither helped. For what it's worth, it only started after Windows 8.1 Update was installed. I wonder if something having to do with automatic encryption was changed in that update or something.

sorry, it took me a while to check this. i don't have these errors in my Event Viewer.

Is there any particular point to installing the additional Realtek audio driver? Seems like an extra 200MB+ of potential bloat. I'm using the optical audio out with Windows 7 handling it fine... not seeing what the "full drivers" would do for me?

I've not installed Realtek drivers in the last 5 years, the ALC 1150 seems to be detected properly by Windows Update.

I've not installed Realtek drivers in the last 5 years, the ALC 1150 seems to be detected properly by Windows Update.

...without a lot of functionality, such as Stereo Mix as an input and other I/O configuration options.

Why would I need that ? I have it set at 24-bit 48kHz through the analog 5.1 in the rear and my headphones work correctly when I plug them in the front.

^ yeah, i haven't install any Realtek drivers in two years...on my laptop and on my M1. both work fine.

Back