Asrock with new storage motherboard

levak

Limp Gawd
I know it's a bit old news, but I just learned of the new board Asrock will release in the coming months(weeks?) names E3C224D4M-16RE.

ATX form factor
Socket 1150 supporting i3 and Xeon processors(probably pentium and celeron as well)
4x DIMM slots for up to 32GB of memory
2x 8x PCIe
2x Intel i210 network cards
1x Mezzanine socket for Asrock 10GB network card
KVM-over-IP

and the coolest news:
22x SATA ports(only 2 are SATA2 I think):
- 6 from C224 chipset (4x SATA3 and 2x SATA2)
- 16 from LSI3008 + Expander 3x24R

Asrock site: E3C224D4M-16RE

Servethehome.com review

It sounds better then the C2750D4I, which looked like a nice SAN/NAS board for a good price, but the driver issue made it a no go for a lot of people. I guess they learned something with Marvell chips and decided to go LSI this time for broader support.

Looking at the hardware, it should be supported in linux, freebsd and omnios/solaris. I don't know about the Mezzanine card, but according to servethehome, it's based on Intel 82599 and should be supported in just about any OS.

I'm just courious how will expander perform with SATA drives. I heard and read a few times now that SATA drives and expanders dont go along nicely and that standalone HBAs are advised.

Anyone had a look/tested this board?

Price should be below 550$. Not as cheap as I though, since you can get X10SL7 + HBA for around the same price, but with Asrock, you still have 2 8x PCIe left and you have a support for mezzanine card, which will come handy with such a board.

Matej

Back