• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 - Raid Question

NightWolfe

Gawd
Joined
Sep 30, 2002
Messages
786
I tried posting this in the Motherboards section but I didn't get any responses so I figure I'll try here ... any help is greatly appreicated

I'm pretty much a n00b at understanding the raid/sata specs for a board so perhaps someone here can give me a hand

I'm building a new rig and going to b using this board ... ASRock P67 EXTREME4

I currently have (4) Barracuda 7200.9 SATA 160-GB Hard Drive

I am looking to buy (2) SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM Hard Drives

With the above board can I run the (4) 160GB drives in RAID 5 and run the (2) 1TB drives in RAID 0?

I was thinking to put the 160s in 5 for storage of important stuff and the 1TB drives in 0 for speed, games, storage of whatver

Or ... should I put the two 1TB drive is RAID1 for storage of important stuff and use the 4 160GB drives in RAID0 for games, programs, performance

Thanks!
 
1. RAID 1 (or any other raid level) does not remove the requirement of a backup for data that you want 0% chance of loss.

2. I would get the Hitachi 1TB 1 platter disks for a similar price. These will be significantly faster than the aging Spinpoint F3s.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145533

Thanks for the suggestions, but I am more wondering if I can do what I listed above with the mobo I linked ... or would I need a seperate RAID controller
 
Yes you can. But 160GB hard drives in 2011 ?

haha yea I know ... I've had them from my old build about 5 years ago ... they weren't even used that much, so I was thinking I could just go ahead and RAID them and get some use out of them
 
Back
Top