ASRock 939Dual SATA2 wont POST!

Jacksn

Limp Gawd
HELP PLEASE!!

I made the jump yesterday to the ASRock 939Dual SATA2 w/ a Retail/box Opteron 148 CPU (CABYE stepping) from Monarch computers (there local for me). God forbid I should get it to power-up on the 1st time, right? Well... exactly!

I have a OCZ Powerstream 520 ps, 2- 512mb sticks of OCZ PC3500 DDR memory installed, Opteron 148 CPU, Segate SATA HD, Plextor DVD burner, and a eVGA 6800GT (AGP).
When I power up the system I get nothing but a blank screen. There are no error beeps or anything! The CPU and chassis fans spin, so the board and case are getting power, but no POST action or beep codes.

I have tried re-seating the memory, switched out video to a normal PCI Matrox card, disconnected HD & DVD drives. (note: I know for a fact that the 6800GT and the memory are in working order)
I still keep getting the same problem though, no matter what. Does anyone have any ideas whats going on??? Also, my power supply has the combo power connect for 24-pin, but the board only req. the 20-pin portion- so this is what is plugged in.
But I noticed a 4-pin connector off to the right of the 20-pin connector on the ASRock board that reads: "ATX12V1". What is that for, and do I need to have it connected.

Any and all info regarding solving this issue and how you may have your rig setup would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS!

Jacksn

i don't know i have a antec trupower 550w eps12v

there's the 24pin connector, i opened that up to a 20pin and 4 pin and connected the 20 pin to the socket on the mobo, and then there's another cable with 8pin and 4pin on it, and i connected that other cable with the 4pin to the socket on the mobo and it works

But I noticed a 4-pin connector off to the right of the 20-pin connector on the ASRock board that reads: "ATX12V1". What is that for, and do I need to have it connected.

Yes.

That's an additional 12V supply for the board and typically the board won't attempt to power up unless that connector is connected.

OK. So I have the OCZ Powerstream 520 power supply.
The 20-pin portion main power cable (20/24 pin combo wire) is connected to the 20-pin connector on the motherboard. The 4-pin is not connected. Are you saying that I need to connect that 4-pin cable to the 4-pin connector (ATX12V1) on the motherboard to get it to work?
Wierd!! There is a blue label connected to the 20/24-pin power connector wire on the PS that says specificaly NOT to connect to the motherboard if it is not a 24-pin ATX power connector.
Am I interpreting this wrong or something?? Does anyone have this or similar PS and is using this motherboard?

I really don't want to fry anything if this is not the case!

Thanks for the help...

Jacksn

Uh, I generally wont add to a post that has the question asked in two places, but dont use the 4 pins that go with the 20 pin ATX. There should be a seperate 4 pin molex... its a little square typically with black and yellow wires.

That was it! Thank you very much.
It was the seperate "blue" (1 of 2) 4-pin connectors that came with the Powerstream ps.
The 4-pin (combo wire) from the main power connector, was not even "keyed" to fit- so I was lucky with that one since the tag said DO NOT PLUG that one into it!

Thanks everyone for your help.

Gotta love the forums!!

Jacksn

I was able to reach 11 x 273= 3003Mhz (3Ghz baby!) last night @ 1.45v (Stock cooler)
I'm pretty dam happy right now... I don't think I will do the vmod.
This is good enough! (fingers crossed behind back, thinking of conductive paint & a Zalman 9500LED HSF).

As soon as I went to 11 x 257 (2.85Ghz), I had to go from 1.35v to 1.375v for stability.
The next step was at 11 x 264 (2.90Ghz), I had to go to 1.425v for stability.
From any settings of 11 x 268-273, it req. 1.45v
Final goal reached was @ 11 x 273 (boards max.? with official 1.20 BIOS???) for 3GHZ @ 1.45v

I did not try to go any higher yet, because of the claim that the board may not go any higher on the FSB/HTT. I just want to burn-in at 3Ghz for now and maybe in the future get really bold.... but this is pretty dam awesome if you ask me!

Jacksn

Back