ASRock 939Dual + 9800 Pro problem HELP!

Defective

[H]ard|Gawd
I am having an intermittant crashing problem in WoW with this setup. Sometimes it will just crash altogether and sometimes it will do a VMU recover and just blank out for a little bit and come back up after it refreshes. I am using the current drivers for the motherboard and video card and am running bios version 1.4, although it did this with 1.2 also. I've done some of the standard methods; I've bumped the settings down, turned off any extra enhancements, set it to AGP 4X in the bios. Nothing is working.

The card was just transfered from my intel system and I never had any crashing problems before. Before I think of sending back the board, has anyone heard of this problem before? Does ASRock have a forum hiding somewhere on their site?

Defective,

Are you overclocked and running 1T command rate? I've got similar issues running at 1T. Intermittent VPU recovery, intermittent return to desktop, and even intermittent reboot. Changed command rate to 2T and played BF2 all day Tuesday with no issues.

You didn't menition your setup but I'm running a 3000+ Venice 9x272 OCX VX 3200 166 divider, 1.3 bios.

Also, make sure your overclock setting is set to Async. This will lock the AGP/PCI bus.

One other thought. There was mention that the ULi AGP driver from ULi corrects some issues with AGP cards.

Hope this helps.

I am not overclocking at the moment, but I will change the setting to 2T when I get home. I also didnt run Memtest yet, *slaps self for not doing so*. My setup is in my sig. A64 3500(W). 1GB (2x512) Kingston HyperX, Sound Blaster Aud 2 ZS. Thanks

I'm running Asrock/9800Pro256 combo. Running 8X with aperture setting of 64 and fast-writes off. Word is that aperture setting greater than 128 causes AGP problems.

My system is not stable with 1T - many aren't. Memtest86 Test#8 will tell you immediately if you need to run 2T for stability.

I assume you're running max Vcore and Vdimm and you've determined that your CPU is truly stable. Right?

There's not a whole lot else to check except drivers.

Hope this helps!

Go to ocworkbench.com and check their Asrock forums.

The problem you are describing is well known. The AGP driver included on the CD has caused a lot of problems for some reason.

Try this:
Do as follow (the sequence of the steps is important):
- uninstall all existing motherboard and vga drivers
- reboot
- install ULi 2.1 integrated driver (DO NOT select USB driver if you are using Windows XP)
- reboot
- install your video card drivers

Thanks alot. I will try that when I get home. I am at class and am having it run a continuous Memtest right now. Its good to know that others have had the same problem and that there are solutions. I didnt know about those forums before, I'll take a look over there also.

Defective said:
Thanks alot. I will try that when I get home. I am at class and am having it run a continuous Memtest right now. Its good to know that others have had the same problem and that there are solutions. I didnt know about those forums before, I'll take a look over there also.

Definitely check out the forums and read some of the stickies at the top.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb.php?/forum/30.html

Not trying to steal your thread, but thanks for the link. I've been looking for answers to some questions on this board. I've been out of the oc game for a couple years so i'm definitely rusty.

I'm confused as to the cpu-nb multiplier setting. I am currently running a 3500+ winnie
at 215x11 on stock hsf. Where does the cpu-nb link multiplier come into play? I'm in the dark on it. This is a screenshot before my overclock,
CBId00.jpg

Is the HTL Speed value shown, the cpu-nb value? What does changing it do/why and what is a good setting for it? Thanks.

I uninstalled the AGP drivers and video drivers, installed the integrated driver, then reinstalled my video card drivers. I am still getting the crashes. I think I might have a bad board. The network card on it wont recognize either.

Back