Aspire ? aspire < ultra ?

Dps

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 2, 2005
Messages
72
I'm looking on newegg.com and tigerdirect.com trying to find a nice combo under 100$ that comes with a 400+ / 500 watt power supply and I'm wondering how much of quality is each Aspire and Ultra, (those are the only two that are selling decent looking cases WITH the power supply included)

Please give me personal experience information and just suggestions and any feedback

Antec is too expensive for me :(
 
To give my honest opinion:

The PSUs which come with both of those brands of cases are complete crap. The Aspire PSUs do not meet the ATX spec at their rated wattage (voltage regulation exceeds the 5% maximum tolerance limit), while the PSUs inside Ultra-brand cases are rated at peak wattage and have weak +12V rails.
 
E4g1e said:
To give my honest opinion:

The PSUs which come with both of those brands of cases are complete crap. The Aspire PSUs do not meet the ATX spec at their rated wattage (voltage regulation exceeds the 5% maximum tolerance limit), while the PSUs inside Ultra-brand cases are rated at peak wattage and have weak +12V rails.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811105115
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811209018
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811145066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811217003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811138047
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811145047
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811156164


Out of all of these which do you consider decent or which would you say is the best bang for my buck...

I was interested in finding 40-60$ good PSU's that were 450/500watt's but I havent :(
 
Dps said:

Unfortunately, all of those PSUs have very weak +12V rails. None of them can deliver more than 18A on their +12V rails - and some of those have a maximum +12V capacity of an unacceptably low 12A or 13A. Their real power output capacity is only about 150W to 200W!

The cases themselves are usually acceptable - but make sure that you replace the power supply unit with a much better unit IMMEDIATELY.
 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811209018

the Atrix case seems like it comes with a nice power supply, i've been comparing the PSU labels and it seems to have a nicer

JPAC L&C and Atrix case have popped out to me to be more decent than the others?

I just hope the higher the numbers the better right :confused: :p


everyone PLEASE give me suggestions tips and feedbacks, I'm looking to buy this tonight so it is processed and shipped before holidays
 
well from personal experiance. I have an Aspire X-Infinity case with the factory installed 420W unit. its been running 24/7 since last june. not 1 hiccup yet.
here is a pic from asus probe, it seems my voltages are about right.
Running the PC in my sig.
I know it says 18A on the 12V but who knows what it really is.
but again I have only shut it off 2 times since june for upgrades.
temps.jpg
 
E4g1e said:
Unfortunately, all of those PSUs have very weak +12V rails. None of them can deliver more than 18A on their +12V rails - and some of those have a maximum +12V capacity of an unacceptably low 12A or 13A. Their real power output capacity is only about 150W to 200W!

The cases themselves are usually acceptable - but make sure that you replace the power supply unit with a much better unit IMMEDIATELY.
I don't understand alot of these have 18A and 17A +12V rails which are the ones i'm looking at. am I confused or whats going on here :(! JPAC LC and
I'm seeing 10 / 6A and 10 / 4A, but then 18A under +12V .... which ones are u telling me are 12A or 13A the numbers under 12v or the numbers above


Can you or anyone recommend me a STRONG powersupply and CHEAP for my Abit NF7+AMD Barton 2500 :(!!
 
Dps said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811209018

the Atrix case seems like it comes with a nice power supply, i've been comparing the PSU labels and it seems to have a nicer

JPAC L&C and Atrix case have popped out to me to be more decent than the others?

I just hope the higher the numbers the better right :confused: :p


everyone PLEASE give me suggestions tips and feedbacks, I'm looking to buy this tonight so it is processed and shipped before holidays

Looks and specs are often deceiving with those PSU's. Such cheapies usually cannot handle even half their claimed capacity on the +12V rail.
 
Dps said:
I don't understand alot of these have 18A and 17A +12V rails which are the ones i'm looking at. am I confused or whats going on here :(! JPAC LC and
I'm seeing 10 / 6A and 10 / 4A, but then 18A under +12V .... which ones are u telling me are 12A or 13A the numbers under 12v or the numbers above


Can you or anyone recommend me a STRONG powersupply and CHEAP for my Abit NF7+AMD Barton 2500 :(!!

Oh, you did not tell me the system that you'll be using with that PSU.

Well, honestly I wouldn't use any of those PSUs that you're considering with any CPU faster than about 500MHz.
 
E4g1e said:
Oh, you did not tell me the system that you'll be using with that PSU.

Well, honestly I wouldn't use any of those PSUs that you're considering with any CPU faster than about 500MHz.
Yes,
I'm on a
AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton 333FSB
1gb OCZ Premier PC3200
ABIT NF-7 v2.0

I'm looking for a cheap durable good PSU


This sucks so hard, Everything I see draws me in but I've never been the best PSU shopper :(
 
PSU is one of those things Ive been meaning to get around upgrading. but yet on the stock aspire unit I havnt had a glitch. running the sig PC with 2 optical and 2 Hdd's also.
maybe I got a lucky unit .. ;)
 
Dps,

If it will help, I just recently went through the PSU search/learning curve myself. Reading some of the "sticky's" in the PSU section of this forum helped me quite a lot. I ended up buying an FPS (Fortron) AX450-PN from "Newegg" ($49.99 + Shipping) that seems to be working out quite well so far.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

Before instaling this PSU I was using a "Generic" 460W that only put out 14amps on the +12V rail and it would sut down whenever I put any kind of a load on it, like playing BF2. The fortron has two +12v rails@18amps each and the physical weight is about 5 times heavier which means it has better components, etc.

I don't know if this will help any but if I were you I'd be looking for a case "Without" a PSU and buy a good one separate. Just my 2 cents.

wizzard0003
 
Back
Top