Asking the IT Director...

Sunin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2008
So I just sent my IT director an email to borg (right term?) my machine and depending on the response maybe others :)

Email I sent him...

I wanted to ask you what your stance is on http://folding.stanford.edu it’s a project to help do research that utilizes spare/unused compute cycles on a computer. I've installed this on my home machines and you can't even tell it runs. More information at the link. I won't install it unless you say it is ok. It is for a good cause so thus the reason I ask.

Won't know unless you ask right?

wow fast response!
------------

I'll check with our security guys. I suspect we might need to open things that could be in conflict with best practices - but I'll try.

Thanks.

----
Can't ask for more than that?

Quick response. Good luck. Since it doesn't use off the wall ports, maybe they won't have a issue with it.

Good email too. Simple and to the point.

For the good working of the folding clients, all you need is to open ports 80 and 8080 so normally, it's not too much of a concern.

For the good working of the folding clients, all you need is to open ports 80 and 8080 so normally, it's not too much of a concern.

If I recall those are standard ports, right.

Really only issue would be if the software installs a trojan or something from a security standpoint. Or allows someone access to the computer... etc...

These 2 ports are HTTP, otherwise you cannot browse the land of the tubes.

Yeah good luck with that! Hope they approve. I wish I could ask too but I already know the answer and the fact that I'm in IT, I definitely do not want this on our production environment. We already put so much crap on our machines as it is.

Really only issue would be if the software installs a trojan or something from a security standpoint. Or allows someone access to the computer... etc...

The only issue I can think of would be that you might not be able to set the machines up running the SMP client due to mpiexec needing admin access to the machine, but you should be fine with the regular client.

hmmm, I'll have to check if I have local machine Admin access...

Yep I have admin access to my machine. So that would not be an issue.

I asked a few weeks ago. I got something along the lines of "we will get back to you."

I was just going to put the console on too. They are busy and understaffed though, so I can understand. To err on the side of caution is pretty much the logical response when you are responsible for that many computers.

I've got the standard client running on all of my borged machines.. too risky to run the SMP client if your not around often to check up on things...

Doesn't produce as much, but it's better than nothing...

Good luck with your borging:)

Back