ask toolbar gets removed

Correction: After this article was published, Microsoft clarified that the version of the Ask Toolbar it classifies as malware is not the current version. The latest version of the toolbar will not be banned by Microsoft as it does not contain search protection code

So close...
Stinky software. Hate the stuff.
At least the older ones are gone. New version should be blockable at the OS level, meaning a pick list of things you never want installed.

Aw, come on, what's the harm? It only takes up a little bit of your window.

post-1-1160073179.jpg

You all spoke too soon.

After this article was published, Microsoft clarified that the version of the Ask Toolbar it classifies as malware is not the current version. The latest version of the toolbar will not be banned by Microsoft as it does not contain search protection code. PCWorld regrets the error.

unless im specifically being paid to remove tool bars now a days.....I leave them right where they are:D Cause we all know they be magically put back on 5 min after you leave

And I have no idea why Oracle persists in such obnoxious behavior. Oracle inherited Java when it bought Sun Microsystems. A as a former Sun employee, we would have have done this. Sun sold to other businesses, same as Oracle. I can't imagine why Oracle would want to include this stupid toolbar, other than getting a few pence per infected user.

Ask needs to go away also.

Google for "java oracle". There, you will find clean Java installers with no third-party software.

Furthermore, there's a hidden switch to disable sponsor offerings in the auto-update installer even if you do later get a polluted installer (whether from java.com or through the auto-update). See the top answer in this thread about how to make disable_java_sponsors.reg - just run that once on a PC and it will never show the Ask Toolbar prompt again when updating Java. Great for the relatives and family friends who aren't computer-saavy but are required to have Java for work, banking, etc.

Aw, come on, what's the harm? It only takes up a little bit of your window.

post-1-1160073179.jpg

I've, thankfully, never seen more than six or seven on a system. Pretty sure if I saw one of my users with that I'd have to show it at the next meeting for everyone to know.

I do not usually find toolbars to be a major annoyance, they usually can be not installed at all, removed or otherwise completely disabled.

I find programs that deliberately override your homepage to be a far greater annoyance, as those do not usually show up on extention lists.

I do not usually find toolbars to be a major annoyance, they usually can be not installed at all, removed or otherwise completely disabled.

I find programs that deliberately override your homepage to be a far greater annoyance, as those do not usually show up on extention lists.

yep this.

Although, updating Java and just snoozing and clicking next/next/next/finish etc is always a facepalm. Dammit Ask toolbar.

What is worse is Adobe Flash trying to get people to install Mcaffee AV in their installer, as if weekly Flash security updates is not annoying enough. HTF can a simple media player be so prone to incessant security issues? It has to be a con IMO.

One can dream that all online media will move to HTML5, and JavaScript and Flash can finally die a well-deserved death.

Since many browsers can save profiles online now, it may be a good idea to incorporate so called tamper free mode, whereby once you have installed any extensions and homepages, you can lock this configuration and the browser will automatically disable any and all extensions that were installed after the activation of tamper-free mode (it compares the list of extensions it has now with the list it has stored online), and only enable them if and only if you activated them from the same or separate authenticated device.

Not sure how practical is that, but at least it may help with abundance of programs trying to install unsolicited toolbars.

Since many browsers can save profiles online now, it may be a good idea to incorporate so called tamper free mode, whereby once you have installed any extensions and homepages, you can lock this configuration and the browser will automatically disable any and all extensions that were installed after the activation of tamper-free mode (it compares the list of extensions it has now with the list it has stored online), and only enable them if and only if you activated them from the same or separate authenticated device.

Not sure how practical is that, but at least it may help with abundance of programs trying to install unsolicited toolbars.

Noscript + adblock combination is unbeatable. No ads, no trouble.

I have Palemoon portable (firefox fork), and once i got everything all setup I made all settings and profile files read-only so they cannot be changed. Also noscript & adblock with aggressive settings.

The most toolbars I've ever seen on a system was 8.

Back