Ask the Experts Question: Should I have a dedicated SSD for games?

LAYOUT.jpg

This is my setup recently took out a 3TB HDD and put in a 500 GIG SSD and put all my top down isometric RPGs on that drive.
Call of Duty needs it's own drive the file size is so big have The Division 2 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint on that drive.

500GB SSD for boot drive C: (want to upgrade this to a 1TB M.2 soonish)
2x4TB Data drive (mirrored HDD)
2TB SSD Steam game drive (will need another one or two soon)
1x4TB Backup Drive (HDD)
1x3TB External Backup Drive (HDD)

There is still a place in the world for spinners - like productivity data and bulk storage.
Steam games run crazy fast on an SSD, especially Paradox games that have long loading screens from hell

Next year, after a partial rebuild, I'll do a clean O/S install and turn the 3-4 HGST 4TB HDD's into a Raid5 and hopefully (if I can find a sale on 2TB SSD's) then do another Raid5 for Steam games.

I recently went from 240GB OCZ Vertex3 SSD + 1 TB 7200rpm drive to a 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro NVME. Sure I noticed it was quicker like the first few days, now it's the new normal. So normal that I hated waiting when updating/installing on my boys PC's that I got them each 1TB MX500's to get them off spinners as well.

I figure when I start to get full I'll add another 2-4TB NVME drive and just extend the main drive.

I have a pair of 5TB mechanicals in raid 1 to house the iTunes libraries but aside from that everything else is an M.2 or SSD. Active games go on the M.2, retro or games I’m not actively playing but don’t want to have to download again go on the SSD. Takes a long ass time to DL 80GB at 10mbps (fastest in my area)

Back