ASIC quality for benched cards?

Do you guys think it would be helpful if Brent and Kyle include the ASIC rating for cards that hit the [H] bench?
I'd image it would help gauge our own overclocks based on the [H] settings and rating.
Am I way off base here?

isn't good enough that they are already reporting stock and boost clocks?

ASIC quality do little for overclocks as just tend to be a guide of the voltage requirement for certain clocks. which actually mean crap for nvidia cards(for example) as are completely limited by TDP.

Wouldn't a higher ASIC mean a GPU is consuming less power to maintain a specified clock speed and therefore be a more capable overclocker since it can achieve higher clockrates before hitting the TDP?

nope. actual cards as you know are limited by TDP and are aimed to have certain performance at that TDP under out of the box or stock conditions, AMD cards tend to have a fixed clock high enough to be as close as possible to TDP, Nvidia do the same with their cards by just boosting above stock clocks until reach the advertised TDP, so in both camps out of the box you will have a card that draw the specified and advertised wattage, so no matter what ASIC have the card, the power consumption will be the same.

Power consumption in a card will be basically relegated to the AIB partner and how efficiently they make a design in the power circuitry. cards like Gigabyte G1 as example tend to have a higher power consumption than other as those are focused in Higher clocks and overclock potentials than power efficiency (without take into consideration the factory overclock). so you can have 2 cards at the same clocks with same voltage and still power circuitry in the board will dictate how efficiently will behave the card.

When peoples ask for the ASIC of a video card I put for sale, I also provide the astrology sign based on the manufacturing
date so they can complete their analysis.

Back