Ashes of the Singularity benchmarks.

I just ran the benchmark with the new 15.10 driver and saw noting added to performance .

Regular run @4.7GHz and 1079 / 1350 on the GPU.

Pastebin results.
http://pastebin.com/EJCd3A9k

taLIwr5.png

Good to see performance improving from both camps. Still wish the performance was ~50% higher across the board. Here is hoping multi-GPU is working well before release.

I know it been some years since the last good RTS game ( World in Conflict: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCrnJq4O1Uk ) but this is not a FPS and the gameexperience dosn't manes you need to have +60 FPS to play the game.

I miss good RTS games, but it looks like there are stuf on the horizon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5Jsr7naFA

Have people really forgotten the differences between the RTS and FPS genres?

I know it been some years since the last good RTS game ( World in Conflict: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCrnJq4O1Uk ) but this is not a FPS and the gameexperience dosn't manes you need to have +60 FPS to play the game.

I miss good RTS games, but it looks like there are stuf on the horizon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5Jsr7naFA

Have people really forgotten the differences between the RTS and FPS genres?

I would just not like the game to lag when playing at 1440p much less 4k.

Compared to C&C/Starcraft/CoH/AoE, I never had fps issues in those games. I could care less about visuals in an RTS - it needs to be responsive or it will not be successful.

Can't do 100+ APM well at 30fps (much less pros/experts playing at 200-300 APM)

At the lowest settings, this game needs to be pegging well over 60fps on average systems (preferably over 100fps) - I have not seen it doing that.

Last edited:
I would just not like the game to lag when playing at 1440p much less 4k.

Compared to C&C/Starcraft/CoH/AoE, I never had fps issues in those games. I could care less about visuals in an RTS - it needs to be responsive or it will not be successful.

Can't do 100+ APM well at 30fps (much less pros/experts playing at 200-300 APM)

At the lowest settings, this game needs to be pegging well over 60fps on average systems (preferably over 100fps) - I have not seen it doing that.

Let me guess...you baseline is StarCraft?

Try playing WiC...you find out you are mistaken.

Has it been so long since a RTS review that people have forgotten the "basics"?
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2007/10/08/world_in_conflict_dx10_performance_iq/3#.Vh_jVjahd9M

Hell even Tom's know this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/balanced-gaming-pc-overclock,2625-14.html

We use the game’s built-in benchmark for testing World in Conflict. While you'll often hear that an RTS is playable at 25-30 FPS, we set our average target at 35 FPS to better cope with the minimum frame rates experienced in the game.

Last edited:
Let me guess...you baseline is StarCraft?

Try playing WiC...you find out you are mistaken.

Has it been so long since a RTS review that people have forgotten the "basics"?
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2007/10/08/world_in_conflict_dx10_performance_iq/3#.Vh_jVjahd9M

You mean my baseline is the most successful (and arguably best) RTS of all time?
30fps is no longer a baseline for PC performance in anything but an non-action RPG, turn-based game or a benchmark. I would argue that a competitive multiplayer RTS should have almost the same target framerate as an FPS. Single player is an entirely different story but RTS is mostly always about the multiplayer.

I would compare this game more to Supreme Commander than WiC. And that game also ran like shit at the time of release. The poor performance was a deterrent for the game.

Not saying it is entirely based on the poor performance, but World in Conflict lost so much money that there will never be a sequel - it is not a good comparison for any type of baseline (it barely has 200k sales to date on an estimated $20m budget).

This game at least runs ok on high end cards at 1080p. 4k is another story.

Last edited:
If you've ever played SupCom FA forever online, if you have a game speed of -2 or -3 after a few hours- you're lucky. Frames per second mean nothing when units are moving slow and are slow to respond. -2 means everyone has a pretty good system. Get a guy with laptop in the game and other players will be asking him to give off his units and leave the game. Game speed runs at the lowest common denominator.

The game seems to be GPU limited. I've played some of the larger maps for hours and found no noticeable slow-down of game speed where SupCom will slow to a crawl after an hour or so. I think this will translate into a pretty good multiplayer game.

I think the strategy is to take advantage of DX12 features and eliminate the fluff that slows large-scale RTS down.

It's a really a combo of Sup Com and Sins of a Solar Empire. There are "phase lines" connecting power points; and the game emphasizes battlegroups over individual units.

It makes it hard to control and reassign smaller groups or individual units. And battlegroups can be slow to move on uneven terrain.

The musical score is pretty good. Best I've heard in an RTS. I know there are Total Annihilation oldies who pine for TA's music score when they play RTS.

I think the end product will run pretty good for most people with a decent system.

It's its own kind of fun IMO. Addicting.

Last edited:
You mean my baseline is the most successful (and arguably best) RTS of all time?

That has a gameplay catering to twitch-play style...unlike games like:
C&C
Red Alert
Supreme commander
World in Conflict
Homeworld
Wargame series etc.

Twitch-play is not the norm in RTS, like it or not.

The appeal to "twitch" is the exact reason I never liked StarCraft (but I could spot you "baseline" didn't I?)

30fps is no longer a baseline for PC performance in anything but an non-action RPG, turn-based game or a benchmark. I would argue that a competitive multiplayer RTS should have almost the same target framerate as an FPS. Single player is an entirely different story but RTS is mostly always about the multiplayer.

Just because you say things dosn't make them tue

I would compare this game more to Supreme Commander than WiC. And that game also ran like shit at the time of release. The poor performance was a deterrent for the game.

You mean a RTS ahead of the hardware (single core CPU's) of that time?
The same limitation that DirectX12 is adressing...FYI.

Not saying it is entirely based on the poor performance, but World in Conflict lost so much money that there will never be a sequel - it is not a good comparison for any type of baseline (it barely has 200k sales to date on an estimated $20m budget).

This game at least runs ok on high end cards at 1080p. 4k is another story.

WiC actully sold well...the Activision/Ubisoft happend:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_in_Conflict#Reception

False arguments are bad okay.

Reviews are not sales - The numbers I pulled were combined from vgchartz and steamspy. If you have conflicting data - please share.

Other points are spot on for your preference - same as mine.

I will leave it at that.

VGAChartz = no digital sales
I liked to see your gamespy numbers, as their site seems to be stuck in 2005 design and functionality.

And again...Most RTS are NOT twitch-style and looking at AoS...I see no signs of them catering to that gameplay style, quite the opposite.

You cannot take your preferred numbers for Twitch-RTS and plaster them onto normal RTS games....logical failure.

The CPU fps numbers for this game seem fine to me. My old as hell FX 9370 is getting 80+ fps. Our video cards are what is holding us behind. As KCtheBrewer stated the game needs CrossfireX / SLi support for our older video cards and probably a launch of new generation of graphics cards to really power this thing on High presets. 39 fps in my case for my 290 to 55+ for a 980ti just isn't cutting it. 60fps is where we need to be on High preset.

This is why our frame rates are so low.
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/brad-...e-ashes-of-the-singularity-uses-cgi-like-osr/

5.0GHz run for fun. Video card @1125 / 1500. Seems that the frame time decreased significantly on the CPU. Maybe I should run my processor like this 24/7. Tempted to try some 5.2GHz runs on air. ;)

Pastebin results.

rm2ZAJm.png

Ashes was a no go @5.2GHz. I can fiddle with the voltage to get it stable, but not worth the effort.

How many units are on the benchmark prior to it finally giving in?

I ask because the number of units was what impressed me of their original Star Swarm Stress Test, 4k units prior to seeing an old 2/4 i3 giving in was really impressive since not even in multiplayer had i seen 500 units on a single battle without it turning into a slideshow.

If the benchmark is just that, a benchmark, and actual gameplay is done with less units on screen at once then i would guess that people are extrapolating for nothing.

New build is out. Game defaults to Medium settings now for very good reason. The benchmark added in a TON of more enemies on the screen at once. I swear that there are a ton more effects happening on the screen now. I need a new video card. This R9 290 isn't cutting it.

Pastebin wants me to purchase a Pro account so I ditched the raw data section. Sorry guys and gals.
Pastebin

2yacjks.png

That has a gameplay catering to twitch-play style...unlike games like:
C&C
Red Alert
Supreme commander
World in Conflict
Homeworld
Wargame series etc.

Twitch-play is not the norm in RTS, like it or not.

The appeal to "twitch" is the exact reason I never liked StarCraft (but I could spot you "baseline" didn't I?)

You mean a RTS ahead of the hardware (single core CPU's) of that time?
The same limitation that DirectX12 is adressing...FYI.

WiC actully sold well...the Activision/Ubisoft happend:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_in_Conflict#Reception

False arguments are bad okay.

What a load of BS, what he said is actually factual information, go watch some pro SC2.

Now "Twitch-play is not the norm in RTS, like it or not." is just BS, again go watch pros play SC2.

And you know what? You like it or not, SC2 is the biggest RTS right now, WC3 and SC1 before that, which are also both twitch based.

Does StarCraft 2 run at 40fps on $2,000 PCs?
It's possible for Indie games to just flat suckass in optimization. Just because these guys are pushing the first DX12 game doesn't mean we should excuse them from typical Indie tropes. Maybe this game is just poorly optimized.

They aren't innovators or pioneers, they're guinea pigs.

What a load of BS, what he said is actually factual information, go watch some pro SC2.

Now "Twitch-play is not the norm in RTS, like it or not." is just BS, again go watch pros play SC2.

And you know what? You like it or not, SC2 is the biggest RTS right now, WC3 and SC1 before that, which are also both twitch based.

You're replying to a banned troll lol

I mean whenever I see someone say stuff like

that basically tells me they don't have an argument and is just trying to stir up shit.

Does StarCraft 2 run at 40fps on $2,000 PCs?
It's possible for Indie games to just flat suckass in optimization. Just because these guys are pushing the first DX12 game doesn't mean we should excuse them from typical Indie tropes. Maybe this game is just poorly optimized.

They aren't innovators or pioneers, they're guinea pigs.

Interesting thing is, I am sure WCS/GSL/IEM/etc. all have PC powerful enough to power SC2 at 60FPS with everything maxed, but pros all play with super low setting, they don't want there is any chance of frame dropping at all.

So my internet went out last night and I was relegated to playing offline games for about 8 hours. Watching the units fight it out was fun as hell. At one point the game kept warning me that I had run out of something; but I never understood what she was saying. I noticed that I stopped getting units, so maybe I should have paid more attention. ;)

What really excited me was when I saw some jets do a bombing run on a group of enemies. The bombing run created this plume of smoke that had me giggling from ear to ear. This game is pretty darn fun!

Early Access starts on Steam today. The price point is a bit lower too, so expect to see a lot more benchmark results.

So is the game fun? I see it on steam now, dunno whether to pull the trigger or not and I like RTS games.

So is the game fun? I see it on steam now, dunno whether to pull the trigger or not and I like RTS games.

I like RTS's but I watched 20min of their twitch stream yesterday while they played and was just bored, hung in there hoping it would get better. has really poor indie quality to it.

I like RTS's but I watched 20min of their twitch stream yesterday while they played and was just bored, hung in there hoping it would get better. has a really poor indie quality to it.

So does Sins of a Solar Empire. Barely a one million budget when it first came out. And Sins is one of the best RTS ever. I support indie and Stardock for exactly this reason.

Sins was a pleasant surprise and I think the same of this game.

Actually, the game quality is pretty good. Watching a game and playing it are two different things. I play AotS @ 4K and it's a good looking, fun game that will only get better IMHO.

It's seems to balance the crack-like addiction of Starcraft, with the scale and difficulty of a large-scale RTS. It needs polish and the whole game hasn't been revealed yet. Such is a pre-beta.

I watched a bit of the live stream as well , Brad was talking about general stuff and not so much in a laid out fashion (he couldn't do that is my impression) and the woman in the stream was saying a lot of times ooh I didn't know that ...

They are calling it pre beta and that sounds fair they still have a good deal of work to do , what I didn't gather is how much further the actual build is. Usually they release a milestone for the "public" for PR purposes which has some simple features enabled.

He was talking about the procedural created maps and how the AI gets all of it's path routing before the game starts to make sure that everything runs as smartly as possible. Very neat tech. ;)

Saw this on Steam today, seriously thinking about it. I'm still on Windows 7 though. Would be interested to see a performance comparison between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Saw this on Steam today, seriously thinking about it. I'm still on Windows 7 though. Would be interested to see a performance comparison between Windows 7 and Windows 10.
If you have an AMD GPU then you absolutely need to play this in DX12.
Doesn't matter as much for Nvidia.

If you have an AMD GPU then you absolutely need to play this in DX12.
Doesn't matter as much for Nvidia.

Still rocking my trusty HD7950 which from what I've read is limited DX12 support. I'm not really that keen on the idea of moving to Windows 10. Only reason I'll consider is for DX12. Its otherwise a downgrade from 7 IMO. Hoping we can get some feedback here soon on the game.

Still rocking my trusty HD7950 which from what I've read is limited DX12 support. I'm not really that keen on the idea of moving to Windows 10. Only reason I'll consider is for DX12. Its otherwise a downgrade from 7 IMO. Hoping we can get some feedback here soon on the game.

Download Starswarm benchmark from steam, it is free, the performance difference between mantle and dx11 is similar to the performance difference that you can expect between dx11 and dx12.

The other part is complicated, 7xxx from AMD is stronger on certain dx12 support than nvidia's even, that is how complicated the dx12 support issue is.

Back