ASA ASDM Certificate Error when trying to connect.

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
Last night I got my ASA working with ASDM but today when I try to connect i get an invalid certificate error. I deleted the certificates from Firefox and it still does not work?:confused:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to 192.168.3.1.

You have received an invalid certificate. Please contact the server administrator or email correspondent and give them the following information:

Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate issued by the certificate authority. Please get a new certificate containing a unique serial number.

(Error code: sec_error_reused_issuer_and_serial)

The page you are trying to view can not be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

Do you have a proper certificate created or loaded up to your fake ASA? And what are you doing/how are you connecting to it? I am assuming you are connecting straight via IP through firefox. Sometimes you have to load commands to specify the port and HTTP to make browsing directly to the asa via IP or a domain name work properly.

This is for loading a third party certificate if that is the case and problem:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00808b3cff.shtml

You can probably take some of what that link shows to figure out how to create your own certificate on the ASA itself as well.

Here is a how-to for setting up VPN for fun since I don't fully know the exact problem you are encountering. The first step show creating a local certificate for the ASA

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/networking/eight-easy-steps-to-cisco-asa-remote-access-setup/1201

If you can clarify where the problem exists for me a little bit, I can point you in the right direction. I just put up links for you on my best guess of where your problem is at.

Edit: Oh I am kinda high right now so take my advice with a grain of salt. Pain meds from surgery :)

Do you have a proper certificate created or loaded up to your fake ASA? And what are you doing/how are you connecting to it? I am assuming you are connecting straight via IP through firefox. Sometimes you have to load commands to specify the port and HTTP to make browsing directly to the asa via IP or a domain name work properly.

This is for loading a third party certificate if that is the case and problem:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00808b3cff.shtml

You can probably take some of what that link shows to figure out how to create your own certificate on the ASA itself as well.

Here is a how-to for setting up VPN for fun since I don't fully know the exact problem you are encountering. The first step show creating a local certificate for the ASA

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/networking/eight-easy-steps-to-cisco-asa-remote-access-setup/1201

If you can clarify where the problem exists for me a little bit, I can point you in the right direction. I just put up links for you on my best guess of where your problem is at.

Edit: Oh I am kinda high right now so take my advice with a grain of salt. Pain meds from surgery :)

I am using the IP in Firefox. As I said everything was working fine until the next morning. If i connected with Chrome that has not been used with it before it worked fine.

I am using the IP in Firefox. As I said everything was working fine until the next morning. If i connected with Chrome that has not been used with it before it worked fine.

Post your configs. Sanatize it too. I don't think you have it setup correctly either on the certificates installation or on how you have the device pointing to it.

Check your computer's time and date.

And check the date on the asa. The how to's talk about that I posted earlier. They may not apply exactly to your situation op but they contain valuable info on how the asa works. Asa's aren't like normal cisco routers and switches. And the older the version of code on the box, the worse asdm can muddle the config and cause issues if you configure anything via that.

The config is fresh with ONLY the changes i made following this guide https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12775

I never set up any certificates.

How would i set a device in GNS3 to use an NTP server? just set the NTP server and create a default router pointing to the loopback interface on my machine connecting to the GNS3 network?

its a bug in Firefox; you have to manually delete the old cert from your cert store. Google for the error for more info.

"This error usually occurs in firefox. The error (Error code: sec_error_reused_issuer_and_serial) occurs because the page that we try to view can not be shown as the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
If we receive such error and are trying to access something that has a self signed certificate, then there are two places in Firefox where we need to go in order to access the particular site again.

To solve this issue just open Firefox >> Go to Tools–> options–>Advanced–>View Certificates there remove the certificates on the “Servers” tab, then from the same location we must remove the certificate authority as it is a self signed certificate, so just go to the “Authorities” tab, simply find the CA for the device you are having trouble with and delete it. This will definitely fix your issue."

Thanks for the help Flint. I will double check again later or just use Chrome.

Back