• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

AS5...some sticky stuff

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 31, 2000
Messages
6,885
Man, this stuff is insane.... :D I had it on my A64, spread it thin with a single edge razor across the entire heatspreader...


...when I removed my waterblock...there was no way to get the damn thing off, it was stuck....pulled the cpu right out of the socket. No harm done though...

I had some AS3 left over and used that upon reassembly....same temps as the AS5....
 
TheRapture said:
...when I removed my waterblock...there was no way to get the damn thing off, it was stuck....pulled the cpu right out of the socket. No harm done though...
I had the same thing happen with "Antec Silver 5." (name ripoff anyone?? AS5??) Man I was so scared that I'd busted it, I was shaking. I guess it helps to heat up the CPU before trying to take the heatsink off to make the thermal interface goop loosen up a bit. Oh well, good thing your CPU is okay!
 
I have used AS5 on multiple heatspreader based cpu's and covered the complete thing with out any problems. Althouhg I can see with certain retention mechanisms things might get hairy, but with stock retention mechanisms, all you gotta do is twist back and forth a little before you pull the sink off the chip...
 
I have yet to be able to pull off my xp-120 WITHOUT pulling out the cpu with it...I've used every method of application. The only think I can say is that eventually something is bound to wear down, but haven't killed anything yet. Knock on wood...
 
Slade said:
I have yet to be able to pull off my xp-120 WITHOUT pulling out the cpu with it...I've used every method of application. The only think I can say is that eventually something is bound to wear down, but haven't killed anything yet. Knock on wood...

Have you tried heating up the proc before removing?
 
I have had my p4 rip out twice, now I just slide the cooler sideways so that it doesn't rip the cpu out anymore.
 
It's kinda tough to "slide" out a xp-120... as soon as you release a side... the familiar sound of pins ripping from a socket...
 
I didn't realize he was using something the size of a car to cool his CPU, those xp-120 are HUGE. Mine is the same size as the stocker....
 
TheRapture said:
Man, this stuff is insane.... :D I had it on my A64, spread it thin with a single edge razor across the entire heatspreader...


...when I removed my waterblock...there was no way to get the damn thing off, it was stuck....pulled the cpu right out of the socket. No harm done though...

I had some AS3 left over and used that upon reassembly....same temps as the AS5....
Sounds like you used too much AS5. All you need is a tiny drop, about 1.5mm³
 
I had the same problem with my p4-478. I only used a small amount in the center of the heat spreader, when I removed my water block it pulled the cpu out of its socket. No damage, but a few grays hairs...
 
Zxcs said:
you sure you didn't use AS Ceramique?

Ceramique is the white arctic silver stuff, not the glue. Ceramique is way better than as5 cause you can actually spread/remove it heh and the temps are like 1c off.
 
Depending on the design of your heatsink, the proper rice grain method will still make one hell of a seal...

then again, I have my xp120 nickel finish on the bottom polished to a mirror shine...
 
I'm still using the original AS from several years back =) That stuff works the way it's suppose to.. No adhesive elements at all.
 
Back
Top