• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AS5 or ARTIC CERAMIQUE?

lemmy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Messages
460
artic silver ceramique or artic silver 5, which one to use?
 
I like ceramique, but both will do just fine...
 
Well they are like both the same just that the Arctic Silver 5 cools like 1-3 deg cooler then the Arctic Silver Ceramique. ASC is non conductive but AS5 is. ASC is way safer to me then AS5. and ASC is cheaper then AS5. which does the samething. just one's conductive and one's not. I use Ceramique just to be on the safe side.
 
ReDgUaRd008 said:
Well they are like both the same just that the Arctic Silver 5 cools like 1-3 deg cooler then the Arctic Silver Ceramique. ASC is non conductive but AS5 is. ASC is way safer to me then AS5. and ASC is cheaper then AS5. which does the samething. just one's conductive and one's not. I use Ceramique just to be on the safe side.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928541
It's not conductive it's capacity.
Also, data on 1-3 degrees cooler claim?
 
Actually AS5 is slightly capacitive not conductive, or capacity for that matter. :p

Some will get better temps with Ceramique, others AS5. Really depends on what you
have to work with.

While both are very good my preference of the two is Ceramique simply because it's easier
to remove if the need ever arises.
 
Well if something is slightly capacitive then that means that a stored energy from one place will jump to another place. I think that translates into something you might want to avoid in computers. That is why I use Ceramique on GPU's and ram chips because the circuits are generally open whereas most modern CPU's don't have circuits readily available to cause a problem.
 
For me, AS5 and Ceramique perform about the same. But I use only Ceramique now because I like to upgrade a lot. Much easier to clean...
 
I've gone back and forth, I put on AS5 on the A64 system I'm putting together now, I used Ceramique on my P4 system. I haven't tried removing Ceramique, so I can't comment on that part. I thought putting it on was tougher than AS though, it's thicker. A little more work in the past when I'd do the "spread the goo all over the heat spreader", vs the AS5 instructions of just putting a dab in the center and put on the HSF.
 
Just so everyone has the proper application instructions :

* Ceramique Application Instructions *

* Arctic Silver : Large Contact Area CPUs (Intel P4, AMD64) *

* Arctic Silver : Small Contact Area CPUs (Intel P3s, AMD Athlons, etc.) *

For larger CPU with an IHS (P4, A64), the instructions for both AS5 and Ceramique say to place a small
dab in the center then let the heatsink spread the paste.
Not to spead it thin as some believe. That technique is reserved for small contact area
CPUs (P3s, AMD Athlons etc ...)
 
Only used Ceramique until now. Good shit. :p I may try AS5 sometime, but I doubt it'll offer much more. It's all in how you apply it. ;)
 
Well I use AS5, and my temps are great, but I've never used ASC so I can't comment on that. I figured that if the AS5 is more expensive, it must work better, so I bought that. I did let the HSF spread the paste like the instuctions said, but I made two mistakes. One, I put way to much on, about the size of a pea, not a grain of rice. Two, I put the HSF on wrong and I had to pull it up. I didn't want to clean of the CPU and do a fresh application, so I just put the HSF back on. This got air in between the HSF and the CPU. I'm suprised though, my temps are great, about 45-46C right now with FAH running, and that's overclocked. I bet it'd be cooler if I'd have done it right, but I'm happy with it the way it is.
 
Back
Top