AS5 on GTX actually help?

Has anyone actually noticed a difference if changing the stock thermal paste on an 8800 series card to AS5? I have never been one to find drastic differences in thermal paste changes unfortunately so was wondering if it is even worth it. If I did decide to give the cooler a good cleaning to apply AS5 is it the same small drop in the center only method as used with a cpu cooler? I would obviously only want to have to do this once and would actually like to see a difference for the troubles so it should be done right the first time I would think. If anyone has seen a difference, how much?

BTW, can AS5 expire or lose its efficiency? I have a tube here that must be at least 2-3 years old. It was barely used and is sitting cap side down on my shelf standing vertically. It has never moved but has been stored in a fairly warm room during it's entirety in my possession. I can't see this stuff 'going bad' but if so I would like to know to avoid using crappy paste which may have no lowering of temps or worse yet higher temps than the stock paste. I really hope I don't have to spend the money on another tube as this is 90% full but if I must than I must.

Thanks.

sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get an answer on this forum. No one has a single comment to make on this thread? Has no one changed the paste and found it worth while? Does AS5 expire or not? Come on people, if you wanted an answer I am sure you would be hoping someone would sort you out, God knows I take my time to answer any question I have regardless of if I think the questions asked are 'stupid or irrelevant' to me.

In my experiance, AS5 gets old and doesnt work as well or spread aswell as a newone, but it takes a few years

havnt tried putting it on the 8800, but ive put it on all my other cards, when i put on the aftermarket cooler, seems to help

Back