• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

as5 on 6800gt core

okashira

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
1,802
anyone had any problems with as5 on the 6800 gt core?

i had been running my 6800gt at 1.4 and oced... then the card started crashing randomly in 3d games. the screen would suddenly freeze with an odd semi-garbled display. -- when this happens, i could restart and the card would be fine. I would lower the core clock each time this happened, thinking it was too much of an o/c.

then, one time it froze, crashed in the same manner, and upon restart the bios etc was garbled and unreadable. upon restarting again.. it was fine, then the garbledness became quite random. somtimes worked, somtimes not.

I then cleaned the reapplied the as5 on the core, and suddenly the card was fine. even took it up to my original overclocks... and it ran fine for hours, suddenly, it crashed and the card was permananty garbled. rebooted severl times, but the card seemed FUBAR.

so i took the waterblock off again, cleaned the core and reapplied, and suddenly the card was FINE!! i was even able to play hl2 for an hour or so. this keeps happening. I dont understand it... the core appears to be sealed... why does cleaning the card fix it then it self-frys over and over?? is my card screwed or... ?
 
I found a VERY small nick in the up-right corner of the core, could this be the problem ?
 
I think the key word here is waterblock.

If I took a wild guess, I'd say you might be overtightening the waterblock. Funny thing about CPUs and GPUs, if you tighen a screw mounted cooler too far, they suddenly stop working.

Just a guess...
 
Oh crap.. a little crack on the corner of the GPU core.. that's a common mistake while installing waterblocks.. That ain't good, dude.. I'd be guessing it's dying already. Your card, that is.
 
To start with, I'd say your main problem is a damaged card possibly due to the watercooling installation. If not, simple overheating is the cause.

The reason why it works fine for an hour after reapplying the AS5 is because the card has cooled down while the PC is off. Once you start it up again and it's been running it seems to be overheating, causing it to crash.

Put the stock cooler back on and only apply a thin layer of AS5 and see what happens. If the card works fine for hours then there's something wrong with your watercooling set up.
 
thanks for the replies. it can't be over heating... because the temps are fine... the card will crash at 60°C... ive been constantly monitoring the temps...

The nick I mentioned is very small... however im starting to think it is the problem. the only other idea I have is because of the 1.4 volts i had been running on the core... but that just seems too unlikly given the small increase and low temps.

I just applied some artic alumina... and the card crashed again after running the HDR demo for a few minutes. (im now using my ti4600)
 
it's dead. I got it to boot to windows again but then it started flipping out... It was just pissing me off how the card would somtimes work, somtimes not..

DEAD OR NOT DEAD, PICK ONE DAMNIT!
 
Back
Top