• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

AS5 and X2 3800+ question...

  • Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 83233

Guest
With the possibility of more die space being taken up (by two cores) do you still apply the same small BBish amount of AS5, or do you add a little more so it spreads out further toward the edges?
 
it is supposed to cover the entire CPU with single core or dual. I guess if you are only currently covering the center of the CPU add a little more so just a little but squezzes out of the sides when you put on your HSF.
 
KaptainBlaZzed said:
it is supposed to cover the entire CPU with single core or dual. I guess if you are only currently covering the center of the CPU add a little more so just a little but squezzes out of the sides when you put on your HSF.

With my Venice it was spread to the edges, but not the corners (because of the circular shape the compound spread to.) I think for the X2 I'll add just a tiny bit more, so that it barely hits the corners too. Thanks for the response.
 
J3RK - From the instructions:
About the size of one and a quarter uncooked grains of short-grain white rice or 2/3 of a BB.
This amount is appropriate for both single and dual core Athlon 64s.

Colin Thompson
Arctic Silver, Inc.
 
Thanks. That's about what I used, and the temperature looks about about right (38-40C with only one reboot, so it hasn't completely set yet either.) Usually when I pull the cooler off with this amount, there is a circular space covered by the compound that extends nearly to the edges. I just wasn't sure if I should have it extend out further since more die-space is likely used for two cores. I've read the instructions before, but that was before dual core CPUs existed.
 
Idles at 31-33C now. Looks like it's working.
 
Back
Top