• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AS5 and Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 31, 2003
Messages
1,696
Been posting on here like crazy since the new build is due. Just wanted to say thanks for everyone who helped me. :)

I am using AS5 thermal paste and the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo heatsink. What is the best way to apply the AS5 to the heatsink/cpu? I've read since it's a heatpipe cooler that the spreading of the AS5 should be done differently. I want to apply the stuff the right way for best temps.

Thanks again.
 
just use what comes with it, the stuff coolermaster ships with is actually not that bad, anyways.
I have a 212 plus, what I did was a small dot or small line minus 1mm or so from north edge and south edge of IHS on cpu, small line straight up and down like a human hair type thickness, then I put a bit more then this on each heatpipe steel area(place between heatpipes) I do this 1 time clamp heatsink down, unclamp look at the way it spread, clean, do same thing again, bolt and leave it.

Small dot works just fine, and I do mean a small dot, the lines between the heatpipes will make sure there is an even amount of thermal paste to force the air out and make wicked contact between IHS and heatsink, small dot or line combined with what is between the heatpipes with the pressure and temperature if done right will make a more or less uniform thickness and a paperthing layer of paste which is exactly what you want.

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com...sk=view&id=170&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=4
http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com...sk=view&id=170&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=5

Thing is with the 212 evo the gap between the heatpipes is miniscule so standard methods need not apply, either way you want a very thin layer of thermal paste provided you don't goop a whole whack of it on there, as mentioned the heat/pressure from the heatsink alone and the tiny gaps between heatpipes should help to create this layer, point of the paste is simple as that, get as close to metal to metal contact as possible and make sure there is no airlocks, to much paste acts as a barrier and is as bad as trapping air, air is a very poor conductor of heat so that explains that.
 
"the gap between the heatpipes is miniscule so standard methods need not apply"

So I can just do the x method and apply the x on the cpu and not worry about the heatsink base?
 
I have evo and used AS5 to on it .
As noted above the space between the heatpipes is much smaller than 212+ , there is still tiny indent there but not bad at all .
You can use basically same methods as flat face HS, I would though test it one time .

That is what I did , I think I used line method . Just test it, pull it and see if it spread ok and if so repeat .
 
what Ed said, I wouldn't use x method as this is WAY to much paste, best is the line method. lets say your cpu cap is 10mm x 10mm draw a thin line from this point to the north and south missing the edges by 1mm or so, or if you want try putting a drop dead centre then put a line between the heatpipes but this need only be a razor thin line.

Either way, you have 1 tube of as5 which is good for many uses, try a few ways if need be and see which offers the best area without being a thick amount, the pictures on the supplied link show this very well.
 
i used the pea method with the stock stuff and so far my temps are decent enuf as the tension spreads out the material
 
Just to add to what dragonstongue posted .

AS5 spreads out very easy so be careful you don't put to much on die .
When I said I used line, it is very small line run vertical (long way on IHS of i5/i7 die) , you don't need to make it long , just little elongated .

Anyway, if you test you apply you will be fine , its not rocket science :)
 
he worded it so much better then me, thanks Ed :p

Yeh and pea size is to much 99% of time, grain of rice or so is generally perfect, rice dead center then razor thin lines on the heatpipes as Ed described, hey its worth trying a couple ways, everyone does this a bit different to what works for them, oh yeh, and when bolt down heatsink, try doing in an X pattern and make sure one of them gets screwed down maybe 1/4 turn more then the others as you are bolting down, this will help to squeeze the paste down.
 
Back
Top