AS SSD benchmark interval

Here is the original AS SSD benchmark I ran after finishing my build. I had run it on 10/17/12 after installing Win 7, updating MB drivers, doing all the MS updates for Win 7 and applying most of the tweaks for optimizing Win 7/SSD. I had posted the result screenshot to another forum. I received a reply that questioned my 4K-64Thrd Write performance. I'm new to this benchmarking thing (and to using a SSD) so I have no idea what it should be.

as-ssd-benchSAMSUNGSSD830101720126-41-53PM.png

I am still slowly adding software (very slowly!) and have made a couple of SATA III connection/cable changes. I had originally plugged my WD storage SATA 3 HDD into the SATA3_0 port (Intel controller) and my 830 256 GB SSD into the SATA3_1 port (same controller) on my ASRock Z77 Pro4-M motherboard. I have now switched those ports (SSD on SATA3_0 and HHD on SATA3_1) and also replaced the original ASRock supplied SATA cables with a couple of Silverstone SATA 3 cables (very nice but pricey!).

System is running fine but I would like to run another benchmark and see if my changes have any effect on the AS SSD results. I haven't run any kind of benchmarking program since the original one on 10/17/12. Is it OK to run AS SSD benchmark again? Reason I'm asking is I have read many posts about not running SSD benchmark tests very often to avoid excessive writes to the SSD.

Appreciate any comments.

Yeah it's OK, the idea is to not run them 10 times a day (and on some SSDs the performance will drop if you do that, so it defeats the point). Also, AS SSD doesn't write that much, the problem is more significant with something like Crystaldiskmark with 5 passes of 1GB tests.

how much can I benchmark my SSD without degrading the drive?...so AS SSD is OK but not CrystalDiskMark?

You'd have to get over 1000 benchmarks per year before you had anything to worry about, and even that would not be a big deal in most cases.

Put it this way:

100 benchmarks per year : no worries whatsoever

1000 benchmarks per year : enough to cause concern but probably not a big deal

10,000 benchmarks per year : would be putting significant wear on the SSD

Back