As Expected, Robots Are Taking Over Call Center Jobs

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't want to say I told you so....but I told you so! I knew robots were going to start taking over everything. Sure, it's only call center jobs today but you and I both know that this is where it is heading after that.

Instead of talking to customer service representatives who adhere to scripts in a robotic manner, soon we might be talking and chatting with customer service employees that are actual robots. While industry experts say that technology isn’t quite there yet, the companies that run outsourced call centers, including offshore ones are already worried about having their jobs outsourced altogether to machines.

I cant wait until we have housekeeping robots that call and get the run around from robot Dan in india.

yeah this isn't going to happen, there's already prompt based self help systems, beyond that you're gonna have a problem with the caller not having a shit clue or otherwise being an idiot, which many are, and the robot simple won't be able to deal with it. This is why it hasn't happened already, humans find an infinite number of ways to fuck shit up and be stupid.

If they learned some practical skills maybe they wouldn't have to worry about their jobs being eliminated for machines. Just a thought.

If they learned some practical skills maybe they wouldn't have to worry about their jobs being eliminated for machines. Just a thought.
It's a poor thought technology will always displace workers didn't matter what you deem "practical". Welders are replaced by robots when possible, hell computers used to be a human job blaming a person for losing their job because of technology is unessarily elitist. What is deemed a job for 20 years can no longer be a job after those 20 years, time and time again show that.

Do you honestly think having the ability to talk to people - IN PERSON - or On the phone - inbound or outbound, is not a practical skill?
IF you don't please.. Please Define SALESMAN for me.

Personally I've not seen a single A.I system (currently) that could substitute for a human over the phone...
We do have a test called a TURING TEST. and even it it's limited factoring of tests.. it fails.

WE may get there with cloud based systems. but.. not yet.

Axe

It's a poor thought technology will always displace workers didn't matter what you deem "practical". Welders are replaced by robots when possible, hell computers used to be a human job blaming a person for losing their job because of technology is unessarily elitist. What is deemed a job for 20 years can no longer be a job after those 20 years, time and time again show that.

Yep. Wasn't there some news recently saying wendys was thinking about replacing people at the front counter with self service terminals?

Yep. Wasn't there some news recently saying wendys was thinking about replacing people at the front counter with self service terminals?

Also heard this same thing about McDonalds.

It will happen you only really need a cook in the back putting the frozen stuff together.

You will be placing your order from a Ipad style terminal and not with a human being.

I am not so happy to see everyone eventually losing their job to robots but one thing I hate more than anyone in America is the tipping system and I will be glad to see waiting jobs taken over by robots. The sooner the better. (it probably will be one of the last to robotize unfortunately).

Seems like all manufacturing and service jobs could eventually end up essentially deleted by tech. So what is left then? Owning a business or being involved in creating newer and better tech or devices for consumers to consume.

Is that really going to be enough to support as many people as there are with a high standard of living? I have doubts. I wonder if the whole thing may someday collapse on itself.

Science fiction is full of depressing visions of the future. If anyone has read the Dune series the Butlerian Jihad comes to mind.

Remember the good old days when we were mad at the Indians for stealing our jobs? Now all you bleeding hearts are mad that robots are stealing jobs from Indians. What's the matter with you guys, you should be cheering the robots on!

It will happen you only really need a cook in the back putting the frozen stuff together.

You will be placing your order from a Ipad style terminal and not with a human being.

We already have that here. A big screen kiosk thing for "menu choices". I've never used it though as the rare times I go in I just get regular menu items. Plus they have a new ticket system, it's slower than the traditional system where they'd get your order right away. Now you have to wait behind the other 10 people that had already ordered and are waiting while the counter is clear and the counter staff are just standing around waiting to take orders instead of filling them.

Do you honestly think having the ability to talk to people - IN PERSON - or On the phone - inbound or outbound, is not a practical skill?
IF you don't please.. Please Define SALESMAN for me.

Personally I've not seen a single A.I system (currently) that could substitute for a human over the phone...
We do have a test called a TURING TEST. and even it it's limited factoring of tests.. it fails.

WE may get there with cloud based systems. but.. not yet.

Axe

Hate dealing with sales reps.Rather just have a program send me an email with datasheets of new products. No current technology can't replace a human, but it can start to encroach into the 'good enough' category. It really is staggering how many people have their problems resolved by T1 support (is it plugged in, reboot the pc, is the cable light on, are the batteries in the correct way etc etc) and this could be captured by software. The next level of support requires more of a back and forth dialog and would still need a person (for now).

Hell they can't be any worse than dealing with people that don't speak your language.

Seems like all manufacturing and service jobs could eventually end up essentially deleted by tech. So what is left then? Owning a business or being involved in creating newer and better tech or devices for consumers to consume.

Is that really going to be enough to support as many people as there are with a high standard of living? I have doubts. I wonder if the whole thing may someday collapse on itself.

Science fiction is full of depressing visions of the future. If anyone has read the Dune series the Butlerian Jihad comes to mind.

With robots there are more goods created. So in reality there is more capacity for more people to have a high standard of living. We need to re-distribute what little jobs are not automated yet between all the workforce. Even if it will eventually mean one person will only work 2 hours a day, or one day a week. But they will still get the same wage as now with 40 hours/ 5 days. And since with the help of robots the same amount or more goods are created as when everyone were working 40 hours, it should work in theory.

Of course it seems against corporate interest to pay the same wage for less work, but in the long run they can't get out of it. If 90% of people end up out of work, or worse homeless, there will be noone left to buy the goods created by their robots, or use the services provided by robots.

That's the best solution I can think of.

Last edited:
My girlfriend works for AI software company that assists in marketing and sales. You would be absolutely SHOCKED to find out how often you converse with AI when setting up sales online.

Most of the time when you get a follow up e-mail that says something like "Hi, I'm Mark. So and so is out of the office for the week so she asked me to assist you" or "Hi, I'm Mark. Although the sales associate you spoke to is no longer a member of the <insert business name here> family, we wanted to make sure you knew someone was here to assist you."

That's your tipoff that you've been dealing with an automated sales assistant the whole time (some of the programs are frightfully good at what they do).

With robots there are more goods created. So in reality there is more capacity for more people to have a high standard of living. We need to re-distribute what little jobs are not automated yet between all the workforce. Even if it will eventually mean one person will only work 2 hours a day, or one day a week. But they will still get the same wage as now with 40 hours/ 5 days. And since with the help of robots the same amount or more goods are created as when everyone were working 40 hours, it should work in theory.

Of course it seems against corporate interest to pay the same wage for less work, but in the long run they can't get out of it. If 90% of people end up out of work, or worse homeless, there will be noone left to buy the goods created by their robots, or use the services provided by robots.

That's the best solution I can think of.

Exactly. It might take time, but the economy will find a balance. An interesting short story to look up is The Midas Plague, by Frederick Pohl - where, in the future, we produce so much that we actually have quotas to fill. Buying and using become jobs in and of themselves - to the point where having less is considered more luxurious than having more.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Perfect timing. I got a voicemail of someone requesting a call back. I called back and after just one ring, I spoke with a very professional-sounding female offering a survey in trade of winning a chance to go to the Bahamas. I'm thinking, "Oh jeez, another telespammer." I curiously asked what it's all about. She explained it all without a single skip. I found the way she said things to be very odd -- it sounded like it came straight from a script (and it very well may be) but it sounded consistently upbeat and wired which is not usually the case when I speak with someone on the phone. I thought it was a robot. I asked if this was a robot. She explained why she called and what the offer is all about. I asked her again, "Are you a robot?" She responded, "No, you're speaking to a real person," in a very professional, non-judgmental manner. It was so hard to believe. I repeated the same question and she said, "No" in a yet consistent, upbeat manner. I just laughed and hung up.

I am 90% certain that it was a bot who amazingly could carry on a conversation. But the manner in how she spoke really threw me off. Now, if it really was a person, then I feel bad.

I think it's very possible that robots would do cold calling with ease now -- it doesn't take much to answer some of the common questions that people ask following a sales call.

This is actually a pretty stupid statement. There is a long list of jobs that are going to start actively getting replaced in the next decade that are far more skilled than merely burger flippers and call center workers.

My girlfriend works for AI software company that assists in marketing and sales. You would be absolutely SHOCKED to find out how often you converse with AI when setting up sales online.

Most of the time when you get a follow up e-mail that says something like "Hi, I'm Mark. So and so is out of the office for the week so she asked me to assist you" or "Hi, I'm Mark. Although the sales associate you spoke to is no longer a member of the <insert business name here> family, we wanted to make sure you knew someone was here to assist you."

That's your tipoff that you've been dealing with an automated sales assistant the whole time (some of the programs are frightfully good at what they do).

The problem is that when I contact sales or support it's for a good reason, not some trivial matter. And these bots are good at handling trivial matters, but as soon you have an unique problem they can't handle it. And by the time you get trough all the canned responses and scenarios, you go crazy or give up. It happened to me lots of times. That I can't be bothered to get trough the hoops they put in front of me in order to fix a problem.

I'm sorry, I did not catch your response. Could you please repeat your answer?

Let's just all admit that customer service has gotten worse over the years. Yes, I realize many people in India are near impossible to understand, but every once in awhile, you can get a local customer service rep. The automation though can be annoying, especially when it goes into an infinite loop because it does not understand you. Maybe just compromise with the Indian Call Center guy, and a robotic voice to translate what they're saying back to you?

I'd much rather use a web app, if they're going to automate it they might as well just have a web app. It would be faster and less annoying. But what I know for sure is that this means Dell's tech support will be even worse than it is now.

The McDonalds near me already have that. You order on a touchscreen terminal.

Thanks for Arnie clip Steve!!
Loved that movie!... but i watched it again the other day, never dawned on me though.
In the action scenes, why would a robot designed to kill, pick you up and throw you? I mean, once they got a hold of you, they would just kill you with their hands, snap your neck, rip out your esophagus or just crush your skull, whatever is the most efficient. Bad programing? Obviously its the directors way of showing how strong the machine is. Just bugs me now, they do it in all movies too.

Perfect timing. I got a voicemail of someone requesting a call back. I called back and after just one ring, I spoke with a very professional-sounding female offering a survey in trade of winning a chance to go to the Bahamas. I'm thinking, "Oh jeez, another telespammer." I curiously asked what it's all about. She explained it all without a single skip. I found the way she said things to be very odd -- it sounded like it came straight from a script (and it very well may be) but it sounded consistently upbeat and wired which is not usually the case when I speak with someone on the phone. I thought it was a robot. I asked if this was a robot. She explained why she called and what the offer is all about. I asked her again, "Are you a robot?" She responded, "No, you're speaking to a real person," in a very professional, non-judgmental manner. It was so hard to believe. I repeated the same question and she said, "No" in a yet consistent, upbeat manner. I just laughed and hung up.

I am 90% certain that it was a bot who amazingly could carry on a conversation. But the manner in how she spoke really threw me off. Now, if it really was a person, then I feel bad.

I think it's very possible that robots would do cold calling with ease now -- it doesn't take much to answer some of the common questions that people ask following a sales call.

I had a similar experience myself.
Very upbeat and VERY scripted.

While they were talking I asked a question, The average human would stop and listen.
This person finished the word or sentence. then responded.
It honestly reminded me of talking to My Dad over a sat. Phone, That Slight but noticeable delay.

I said.. "uhg I hate robo-calls" the "thing" finished it's sentence and stated. "I'm not a robot"
I hung up ;)

Axe

i rather have someone in india than robots.

To an extent, I disagree. I'd rather have a real knowledgeable person. However, most everywhere the first few layers of CS are obstructive script monkeys. I'd rather have an efficiently helpful robot.

For example my cable company had replaced most all of the initial contact past the voice menu screening with a robot. It would ask yo a series of yes no questions that you could navigate about as fast as the press 1,2.,etc voice menus. For several of the paths, this lead to a "let me reset your connection" action.

About 2-4 times I year, my cable company does something, and my modem starts getting slow data rates and completely drops out periodically. Dealing with the robot would resolve it in about 5 minutes. But people bitched. Now 2-4 times a year I have to deal with poorly trained humans for 30-60 minutes to fix the most common of the only two problems I ever really have with my cable company.

I phoned Kohls this morning to close a credit card account. The whole process was handled by a bot in a very prompt and efficient manner. The bot even offered to send a letter confirming that the account was closed. No human interaction needed. Welcome to our robot overlords!

Robots can't do everything but with a country founded on Capitalism we are in trouble....

If a wooden post can hold up a sign advertising a business, why should a human being hold up a sign advertising a business?
If a footstool can hold up your feet while you're resting in your chair, why should a human being be used as a footstool?
If a robot can perform call center duties, why should humans work in call centers?

Back