Arx Fatalis

tacosareveryyummy

Supreme [H]ardness
So I noticed this game was on steam for $4.99. I know its old but has anyone played it? Was it any good. It looks interesting and besides, it's only 5 bucks.

I've heard from some friends that its a good game, haven't played myself though.

Yeah on a new rig, it doesn't run very well. It was an alright game. Although if I had a choice, I'd go for Morrowind over Arx.

It's supposed to be similar to Ultima Underworld, which is a great game from 1992.

Ugh, I remember this one from way back when. I only remember it because of how awful it was.

It takes a while to get into this game and it is a bit hard. You will almost certainly need to glance at the walkthrough for some sections (the developers indicated that perhaps the in game clues were not sufficient).

At first I hated this game but after a while I found it to be really quite good and well worth playing. I guess a bit depends on your expectation and patience as the game has a lot of mazes and can be a bit slow pace at times.

Evokes the old CRPG dungeon crawl experience well. Exploring becomes pretty interesting once you get down there a bit. Nothing amazing, but worthwhile overall.

I have it but only played the demo. It was designed by the same team who made that FPS Might and Magic game.

It's supposed to be similar to Ultima Underworld, which is a great game from 1992.

It was actually going to be a new Ultima underworld game, however they couldn't get the liscense so they instead made it their own.

I thought this was a great game at the time... takes a little getting into, but really well put together. Of course, that may just be the old rose tinted glasses ;)

Slow-paced & Ultimately boring.

You can fry fish & bake bread. Whoopie effing doo!

Has anyone been able to get this game to run on Win 7 x64? With 1.18 it's very laggy even with a modern system. With 1.19 it runs smooth but I keep getting this jerky lag every few seconds where the screen goes dark but I'm still moving.

*edit* OK got it working well with 1.19. I had to disable Bump Mapping.

Last edited:
Arx Fatalis English v1.21

* Improved overall game stability under Microsoft Windows Vista & Windows 7.
* Fixed blinking effect that may happen when starting a new game.
* Fixed HUD scaling when display resolution is higher than 1024x960.
* Fixed EAX option: value is now saved when leaving the option menu.
* Fixed an issue with the game locking-up when opening player inventory.
* Fixed length of cinemascope bars displayed during cinematics.
* Fixed some performance issues with a few Nvidia GPU (see Notes).

Notes:

* If you experience in game framerate drops or stuttering, please give a try to the "Enable Rendering Fix" option in the Video settings.
* This patch will remain the very last Arx Fatalis update released by Arkane Studios. However, the whole source code of the game is now available for download, which means that numerous fan made updates/mods may be found around the Internet. Arkane Studios won't provide any kind of answer or support regarding community developed content.

I will be trying this tonight :)

It is slow to get into but Its a damn good game. Especially if you are nostalgic about Ultima Underworld, also a damn good game (for its time folks).

The spell casting system is gesture based and well implemented. The game rewards exploration (and re-exploration). Unlike Oblivion (Im talking to you oblivion auto-level haters) you can and will get butally murdered as a lowbie if you go the wrong way and/or are in the right place at the wrong time. Lichs will kick your ass (like in Baldurs Gate!)

I could keep going on but .. oh yeah epic snow dragon battle that is in a completely hidden area and is completely optional from a main quest point of view.

update seemed interesting, picked it up yesterday. doesn't really seem to be much of a mod community for the game though...

The patch is funny. It always opens it in a 640x480 window, regardless of your resolution. You have to reset the reso to get it full screen, and even then, it's still windowed.

To bad :(

I wish somebody would modify the game to include physical runes like Ultima Underworld had.. The "draw the runes" aspect of Arx Fatalis made it suck for me. I can't even draw a stick figure on paper with a freaking ruler, much less draw symbols with a mouse.

Meh. Still runs like shit the moment a 2D overlay is displayed. Maybe with the source code released, some fans will rewrite the entire engine to work properly on modern video cards. :D

this is a great game. however be warned. this is not a console rpg. this is a pc rpg through and through. it is tough and at times obscure. so if your are expecting oblivion or mass effect 2, walk away now.

Should I run this game on a new system or a system from 2001-ish?

Should I run this game on a new system or a system from 2001-ish?
As long as you have the new 1.21 patch it should run on Windows 7 just fine. If you have a Geforce GPU and are experiencing issues in the game, there is a rendering correction option in the graphic properties.

Also, to fix the full screen issue, go to the default cfg.ini file in the game directory and change fullscreen=0 to 1.

I got this game with a video card purchase years ago. I think it was a Ti4200, maybe not.
I was cleaning up some stuff and came across the disc. I never played it then and have been wondering what it'll run like on my gamer system. I found my Morrowind install discs too.

Might give it a whirl.

As long as you have the new 1.21 patch it should run on Windows 7 just fine. If you have a Geforce GPU and are experiencing issues in the game, there is a rendering correction option in the graphic properties.

Also, to fix the full screen issue, go to the default cfg.ini file in the game directory and change fullscreen=0 to 1.

Thanks I'll give it a shot soon.

Ok, tried it...... Yech.... Maybe I'll drink more and muddle through a bit more of it. 1920x1080 windowed plays nice, but interaction takes a little getting used to.

Back