• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Artifacts in Crysis with 3870

skadebo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
1,126
Just upgraded from an x800xt. Everything's swell except for Crysis. So far I have tried 8.3 and 8.2 using safe mode/driver cleaner etc. but I get the same problem. System in sig. It plays, just with major artifacting. Atitool artifact scanning gets nothing, the opengl fur benchmark runs fine, it's just crysis. Example:



Any ideas? I doubt it's the power supply, even though there's a faint whine when in 3d. There's even some headroom for overclocking up to 830mhz on the core. Heat isn't the issue either with a vf900 running at 12v, keeps the gpu around 50 under load.
 
Looks like GPU temp too high or power problem.
ATItool is a bad way to test for stability. According to ATItool I can clock my memory 280MHz faster than is stable!

rthdribl is a very good way to get your GPU hot, watch for artifacts.
Bear in mind though, unless your CPU is getting near its gaming temps as well, your case wont be as hot.

I also use Crysis benchmark with everything set as high as possible (with a very high config tweak), 1600x1200 res or higher, 10 runs.
If it passes that on mine it runs everything flawlessly.
 
If you OC, maybe drop it the video card to stock speeds...

I would be interested too know if it still artifacts at stock..
 
I've run rhtrdribl (whatever) as well as lightsmark, no problems. It's the 3870 or crysis or the drivers. the x800xt ran it fine on 7.12s, should I try the 3870 on those? I'm deliberating re-installing xp as well.

As for power supply, it could be, as it's "just" a 430watt unit, but seeing as people are able to run x1950xtxs on it, I think I'm fine.
 
I've run rhtrdribl (whatever) as well as lightsmark, no problems. It's the 3870 or crysis or the drivers. the x800xt ran it fine on 7.12s, should I try the 3870 on those? I'm deliberating re-installing xp as well.

As for power supply, it could be, as it's "just" a 430watt unit, but seeing as people are able to run x1950xtxs on it, I think I'm fine.

When I got my 3870, I had a decent 500 watt, and had to move up to get it too work correctly..

I am unsure of using a 430 watt PS with that 3870..
 
Woohoo! Got it to work! I went into the bios, thinking that I may have some remnants of my AGP settings in there ( the Asrock mobo has both agp and pci-e) and I recalled that setting "PCIe downstream pipeline" to "disabled" fixes graphical issues. Presto! I'm golden now!
 
Glad you fixed it.

But I heard that "whine" noise you say about a few months before my powersupply kicked the bucket. It was an Antec, too.
 
Glad you fixed it.

But I heard that "whine" noise you say about a few months before my powersupply kicked the bucket. It was an Antec, too.

Yeah, some quick research tells me this to be so. I think it has a 5 year warranty, maybe it will be covered.
 
Wow, talk about your needle in a haystack!

FWIW, I run my 3870 on a 300 watt power supply and the system is extremely stable; no problems. Play Crysis(DX9) pretty much maxed out for hours at a time.
 
Yeah, I just remembered that setting from when I first got the board and was researching how to overclock the thing and seemingly meaningless settings affected the overclockability ( of which I now know there is none). Still running the E6300 at stock speeds..
 
Back
Top