Artifacts from CPU overclock?

mikecoscia

Limp Gawd
I had my i7 920 OCed to 3.8 @ 1.35V, ran 100 passes with Linx and Prime95 (at the same time) without issues. Played about 30min of Crysis and started to get flashing white specks and a few small flashing textures. Ran ATI tool and it had errors the second it started. Lowered 920 OC to 3.2 @ 1.25V and have been playing crysis all day (3-4 hours) without any issues. The card is a 4870x2 @ stock speeds and fan up to 50% speed.

I thought a GPU would would be the root cause of the artifacts? And at first I thought the card was bad. Am I missing something here?

2 possibilities.

1) When overclocked, the PSU is being pushed to its limit and is struggling to give the graphics card enough power. (ie the PSU is faulty)
2) With a faster CPU, the graphics card can be pushed harder and thus now gets hotter.

Is it possible that another display driver caused the issue? I had a USB monitor hooked up showing a yahoo widget that monitors the computer. I uninstalled and played for about 2 hours without any artifacts, but did lock up on me once.

On Vista, no, you can only load one display driver.

Hmmm, guess that might have been the cause then. Running Linux/Prime95 at various OCs with ATItool running too make sure everything is stable now. Guess I will have to use my Mimo display on a non gaming machine.

Back