Artifacting with 5870 BF3

Cloneinc

Limp Gawd
So since the game released I have been getting artifacting in areas where there is smoke and also on the minimap. It looks like little flashing snowflakes. The card has been fine in all other games including BC2. The only other game I experienced this in was UT and that was only in the HUD at times (little fucked up flashing snowflakes). New drivers have failed to resolve the problem and the card does not seem to be getting hot at all. As I said BF3 is the only game I currently play where I get this problem. Sapphire will RMA the card, but I only have about a month and a half to do this and I dont want to be out of the game for very long. Plus I'm not confident that they will resolve the problem anyhow, but I have never had to RMA a card to the manufacturer before. I'm thinking about getting a 6970 next week and then either trying to RMA or sell my 5870, though I wouldnt want to sell a bad card to someone. Any advise before I make a move?

Wow, really no reply? OK...How about, what card should I get in the 6970 price range?

So since the game released I have been getting artifacting in areas where there is smoke and also on the minimap. It looks like little flashing snowflakes. The card has been fine in all other games including BC2. The only other game I experienced this in was UT and that was only in the HUD at times (little fucked up flashing snowflakes). New drivers have failed to resolve the problem and the card does not seem to be getting hot at all. As I said BF3 is the only game I currently play where I get this problem. Sapphire will RMA the card, but I only have about a month and a half to do this and I dont want to be out of the game for very long. Plus I'm not confident that they will resolve the problem anyhow, but I have never had to RMA a card to the manufacturer before. I'm thinking about getting a 6970 next week and then either trying to RMA or sell my 5870, though I wouldnt want to sell a bad card to someone. Any advise before I make a move?
Post your temps and a video of the artifacting. Play the game till the artifacting happens then check GPU-Z to recall the highest temp your card reached.

The 6970 isn't a major upgrade from the 5870 I believe. I would say around 8 FPS more in BF3.

Temps are in the 50-60 range no higher and I didnt even have an overclock on the card. The artifacting is a constant issue and occurs even at the onset of the game. Funny thing is, I dont recall seeing it in SP, but like I said the white flashing snowflakes only appear on the smoke. I know the 6970 isnt much of an upgrade, but what else is there in the $300-$350 range?

Temps are in the 50-60 range no higher and I didnt even have an overclock on the card. The artifacting is a constant issue and occurs even at the onset of the game. Funny thing is, I dont recall seeing it in SP, but like I said the white flashing snowflakes only appear on the smoke. I know the 6970 isnt much of an upgrade, but what else is there in the $300-$350 range?

If you're dropping 350 on a card, I'd wait awhile and see what prices look like in 2-3 months.

Suggestions: Try using different drivers, etc, to see if it's a BF3 issue, or a hardware issue.

If you're dropping 350 on a card, I'd wait awhile and see what prices look like in 2-3 months.

Suggestions: Try using different drivers, etc, to see if it's a BF3 issue, or a hardware issue.

Good point as I was just talking about what may happen in a few weeks on TS.

Drivers have'nt seemed to make any difference and I only have about a month left to RMA.

I own a 5870 and it runs BF3 really well, I doubt this is a driver issue. If you can RMA the card and get a replacement then just do that. It definitely sounds like a hardware problem, the fact that it's showing up in other games points to that.

As far as buying a new GPU now... i dunno if that's wise. I'd wait a couple of months and see what happens. Prices on the 6xxx/5xx should drop as the other 7xxx cards trickle out.

RMA it and if you have a replacement card then use that until your new card/fixed card gets back. I've never dealt with Sapphire for RMAs so I have no idea how long you'd have to wait or what kind of trouble they'll give you.

I own a 5870 and it runs BF3 really well, I doubt this is a driver issue. If you can RMA the card and get a replacement then just do that. It definitely sounds like a hardware problem, the fact that it's showing up in other games points to that.

As far as buying a new GPU now... i dunno if that's wise. I'd wait a couple of months and see what happens. Prices on the 6xxx/5xx should drop as the other 7xxx cards trickle out.

RMA it and if you have a replacement card then use that until your new card/fixed card gets back. I've never dealt with Sapphire for RMAs so I have no idea how long you'd have to wait or what kind of trouble they'll give you.

Damn it I dont have a spare PCIE card lying around, but I think that RMA and waiting awhile for new cards/price drops is a good way to go. Clone may be down for awhile.:rolleyes:

That's what I get for not reading your entire post. :p

Have any friends with a rig similar to yours that you can test the video card in? I would RMA it, if I were you, since you only have a month left to do so.

Have you thought about RMAing it, selling it, then buying a 7970?

That's what I get for not reading your entire post. :p

Have any friends with a rig similar to yours that you can test the video card in? I would RMA it, if I were you, since you only have a month left to do so.

Have you thought about RMAing it, selling it, then buying a 7970?

I've pretty much thought of every possible scenario, but have been putting off the RMA because my son just built his rig and I wanted do do a bit of noob fragging with him.

I've pretty much thought of every possible scenario, but have been putting off the RMA because my son just built his rig and I wanted do do a bit of noob fragging with him.

Buy the 7970 now, RMA > sell, then enjoy the money?

:p

Either way you look at it, that card's on it's way out.

7970 would be great but pricey and I've been trying to tell myself to stop buying bleeding edge.

Would another 5870, then RMA and crossfire be better?

Just got the go ahead email from the warranty station for RMA repair/replacement.

Looks like I'm going to be down for 1-2 weeks.

Then I'm going to be looking at picking up another 5870 for CF.

Back