• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Artifactin 7800GTX

ohgod

Gawd
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
620
Okay I got a new computer with a Lian Li PC-v1100 case and a 7800GTX. I tried playin Halo and got some severe artifacting but the game played well. I tried again with Rivatuner running and was getting temps 80-85C. I rigged a fan above the card so it got some air and the the temps were reduced to 70-75C. I am running the 77.38 drivers. Is this artifacting because of the drivers or is the card getting too hot?
 
If you computer is overclocked, downclock it some and see if it gets rid of the artifacting. The 7800 GTX shows artifacting if your system overclock is unstable.
 
Computer is overclocked in no way. Its new.
Specs:
Amd Athlon X-2 4200+
2 gigs OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2
2X Raptors
600W Enermax Noisetaker
DFI Lan Party SLI-DR
 
You could underclock the card although that would be no fun. :( If you're playing Halo it doesn't matter to underclock it. Also try to create more airflow in the system. How is your fan setup?
 
isn't Halo the worst programming mess in the history of gaming? perhaps it doesn't work right with the new cards/nvidia drivers and needs to be patched? does the artifacting happen in any other games?
 
denaps said:
isn't Halo the worst programming mess in the history of gaming? perhaps it doesn't work right with the new cards/nvidia drivers and needs to be patched? does the artifacting happen in any other games?

Ports usually suck for one reaosn or another, but I doubt the porting would cause artifacts.

It could be drivers but more than likely it is the card.

If you can take a screenshot or just describe in detail what the artifacts look like, then we would know a little more.
 
I installed different drivers. Guru3d said the 77.38 would work fine as other people had used it. In all actuality they were laptop drivers, and when I checked rivatuner they were clocking my card up to 530MHZ!
 
You have you version of the xfx that comes stock clocked at 490mhz right? Well due to the way clocking of 7800gtx's work (dont fell like explaining it) parts of the card are actually running 40mhz higher than the drivers show the clocks to be. Your card wasnt overclocked at all, it defaults to 490mhz or in other words 530mhz.
 
Back
Top