Artic Silver 5 or Ceramique?

haroldmeyer

[H]ard|Gawd
Which one is rated better nowdays? I'm a big Ceramique fan, but now I hear a lot of noise about As5.Can someone fill me in on the advantages of As5 over Ceramique?

I think the advantage is maybe 1-2c difference in temp. Nohting to scream about. I still use Ceramique on everything. It actually works VERY well to hold the heatsinks on the mosfets.

According to Gruntiville about 3 degrees, once you factor in the difference in ambient temps when the tests were made. If you want every last degree, then get AS5, but if Cermique works for you, why change?

ceramique takes time to wear in, for the first couple of days the temps are 1-3'C higher than they become so make sure they know that if youre reading tests

If you're going to spend any money on fancy thermal paste, you might as well get the best. That's AS5.

another vote for AS5!
the only advantage to ceramaqueque is that its not conductive.

V0ltage said:
another vote for AS5!
the only advantage to ceramaqueque is that its not conductive.

Their is a question i had. Non-conductive thermal paste. How is that benifical? I mean how often do you have the problem of the paste gounding the HSF or Processor. Or even giving it a +12v charge? Maybe i'm just going way over the issue.

Chuck

enuro12 said:
Their is a question i had. Non-conductive thermal paste. How is that benifical? I mean how often do you have the problem of the paste gounding the HSF or Processor. Or even giving it a +12v charge? Maybe i'm just going way over the issue.

Chuck

It's not so much an issue of thermal paste grounding the proc or HSF, but rather it's an issue of shorting out a bridge on your processor. The advantage to non-conductive thermal paste/grease is that if you are a total moron or just have shaky hands and get some of that paste on the proc bridges, you aren't as likely to short them out and thus fry your proc. Or suppose the paste should seep out from under the HSF - again, with non-conductive paste you aren't likely to hurt your proc should that happen.

That's my $0.02. I've certainly never heard of thermal paste/grease grounding or in any way hurting a proc when applied properly. That would kinda go against it's whole purpose for being...

Back