Array issue on a PERC 5/i, assistance needed!

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
Setup:

4x WD 1.5TB Green Power drives, Dell PERC 5/i controller

Problem:

The PERC thinks two of the drives just died, but they haven't, and the "PD Mgmt" tab shows them as healthy, however, the array doesn't see the two drives; it sees the two "good" drives and says "Missing" for the other two. I've been told by a friend to disable TLER on the drives as that's the source of this problem, but (a) I have absolutely no idea what this is or how to do it, and (b) I need to know if there's a way to force the PERC to recheck the array and/or re-add the two "failed" drives so I don't lose the array! Anyone have advice for either problem?

You should be able to force the drive back online. If you have the MegaCLI you can do that with the following command:

megacli -PDMakeGood -PhysDrv[252:4] -a0

This is just an example so you will have to find the correct drive number.

I am sure their is a way with the Windows GUI, however I run my Perc 5/i on my Openfiler system so I don't use the GUI.

You should be able to force the drive back online. If you have the MegaCLI you can do that with the following command:

megacli -PDMakeGood -PhysDrv[252:4] -a0

This is just an example so you will have to find the correct drive number.

I am sure their is a way with the Windows GUI, however I run my Perc 5/i on my Openfiler system so I don't use the GUI.

Thanks! I was able to boot into my spare Windows 7 install that I had used to rebuild the new array, and saw the options right there in the MSM to force the drives back online! Now, anyone know about that TLER thing? I've read it's something to do with consumer-level WD drives and RAID arrays, but that's about all I've gathered so far, and I still don't know what it is or why I need to turn it off!

Back