Around $300-$400 speaker setup for all-around use?

Volucris

Gawd
Well, seeing that nothing will be shipping around until wednesday because of the holidays, I'm looking at audio setups. I had the Logitech Z 5450's but I rma'd them because of bad interference with my more expensive phone setup. I then looked to buy teh Logitech Z 5500 but I was stumped. For around $300 I figured I could find a surround sound speaker setup with reciever for not much more or possibly less. Now I come with a question, what are my options for good surround-sound audio solutions under $400? I game, watch movies, listen to music, the works.
My audio experience is rather minimal so surprise me.

I have Sony MDR-V150 headphones and Logitech Z-3 2.1 speakers at the moment. I'm willing to buy a sound card to replace my cheapy onboard if it's recommended.

I have the Logitec 5500 with the XtremeMusic, and find it hard to turn off the music to go to bed. If you are more into the music, I would suggest you consider the X-Meridian in place of the X-fi (depends upon whether your emphasis is music or gaming).

killernoodle said:
Ready made setup? Onkyo HTS790
link
Wow, great price. I have an Onkyo 7.1 system in another room and it's great. Now do you have experience with that site?

edit* shoot, I just realised how small my room is. I can do 5.1 and no more. The room is too small for a 7.1

Why buy 7 speakers when you only need 3? You want a better front soundstage (left, center, right) but you can still use your existing speakers for subwoofer and surround duty to help your budget go further. It might not be as simple as with some sets, because the z-3 is hardwired, but it can be done.

You'll need to cut the speakers off the control pod, locate and extend the positive and negative leads of the speakers with some extra speaker wire and drive them directly from the receiver.

Then get a subwoofer cable with an integrated y-adapter , plug the single end into the subwoofer output of a receiver, and the other end into the game console adapter that came with your speakers, and plug in your control pod, turning the volume to ~75%, and plug in your subwoofer.

Now you just need a receiver and some front speakers. I suggest three of these Fosgate passive monitors and an Onkyo TXSR304. That'll run you ~$400 with shipping.

Of course, if you find those Fosgate's sound better than the front three Onkyo speakers from your other room, then you can swap them out to the other room.

I was in a similar situation and I couldn't be happier right now; let me tell you what I did.
I purchased an Auzentech xplosion sound card from newegg for about 85$. It has Dolby Digital Encoding which is excellent because the Logitech system I bought (z-5500) has dolby digital Decoding. I would highly recommend this combo, it sounds amazing. I consistently found Z-5500's on ebay for right around 250, I snagged mine for 200+shipping. Good luck.

Back