Argh, think my Wii bricked too. Whee!

movax

2[H]4U
As topic says, came home for the weekend, brother got a brand-new Wii (new shipment I'm assuming), so I go ahead and do the logical step of setting up Wireless access (WPA-PSK). All's good except mistyping the key the first time.

Wii is happy it can connect, and then it does a reboot (I think), and queries me as to what country I'm in.

Then it does its update thang. Downloading went fine (assuming Nintendo was smart enough to grab the firmware file, and *then* start updating), and then it goes to..."Updating, do not turn off power."

At first, I was a bit scared...it was movin' ass slow. But it was moving, so I figured I wasn't going to get bricked.

That was a hour ago. Now, it's kinda hanging ~90%, and I'm thinking that it failed or something. Turning it off will probably result in a shiny, new, bricked Wii. Any encounters of this before? I'm tempted to just kinda leave it overnight and call Nintendo tomorrow or something for a new one if its still hanging. Great out of box experience, I tell ya. (given though, it seems rather rare, but I still love the Wii. Zelda's fun, fun fun!)

It's actually just downloading, not updating. The update is instantaneous and happens after the entire file has been downloaded. I would wait it out, personally. When I first updated my Wii, the download took about 4 hours. Don't worry, your Wii isn't bricked yet. :)

Ahh, ok. Perhaps they could be more descriptive ><

Understandable though...assuming the Wii's software is a nice round number like 16MB or 32MB in size, I've taken hours to download files of that size from obscure Japanese sites. ;)

I can only hope they put some kind of abort time-out on the thing.

i hope your wii didnt brick!

keeping the fingers crossed for ya

Still stuck at the 90% mark, unfortunately. Assuming that is in fact just in the middle of a download and not an actual flash (I guess like an above poster said, flashing tends to be done very rapidly), should just chance a power off/on, or perhaps leave it overnight and power off/on...

Someone else posted the same thing here a few weeks ago and he just powered off/on and all was well. So far I've had smooth sailing, but yeah, this'd definitely make me nervous if I were in your shoes. However, Nintendo's support is golden (unlike MS's for 360), so I'd take the chance and flip the switch :)

That's just the downloading phase. I've rebooted mine when the download hung. It's not a big deal. It doesn't install the update until the download is done.

Just reset it. No sweat.

Yep, rebooted it this morning, and it started the update again...'cept it was done in about 5 minutes this time. :)

Only thing I'd suggest to Nintendo is add some kinda timeout to the download. That's about it though, as I know their customer service is kick-ass, from getting my GC repaired to getting my Wii component cables. :)

Perhaps its traffic?
I got my Wii one week after launch and the update took 5 minutes.
Alot more Wii's out there now.

I hate to raise a dead thread, but my friend's Wii is currently updating, and its been doing so for an hour and ahsnt moved an inch. NO security on the wireless right now, as we just want it to work... how long is it supposed to take 0_0

Well, it's probably downloading still (physically/development wise, it takes <2mins or so to actually write new data to the hardware), so you should be able to easily turn it on/off, and try it again.

It is the first "Set" of progress bar right? IIRC, mine did "downloading..." and then a very very rapid "flashing..." bar.

Back