Argh! Power drops

zandor

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm not sure what the hell is going on around here, but the last couple weeks I've been getting hit with a couple of short, sudden power glitches a week. The power suddenly goes off, then comes right back on. Every time it happens my server reboots, which is getting really annoying.

I've figured out 2 things from this:
1. I need a UPS, because this is f'n irritating.
2. PC Power & Cooling must be doing something better than Enermax.

My main rig's got a PCP&C 510W PSU, and despite drawing a lot more power (dual Opteron 246s + 7900GTX vs. single A64 3200+ & a cheap 6600) hasn't gone down from one of these glitches yet. The server box with a 535W Enermax goes down every time though.

I think maybe I'll go UPS shopping later.

zandor said:

Sounds like a good plan. How much are you looking to spend? And use the PC Power and Cooling should handle voltage sags better.

zandor said:
I'm not sure what the hell is going on around here, but the last couple weeks I've been getting hit with a couple of short, sudden power glitches a week. The power suddenly goes off, then comes right back on. Every time it happens my server reboots, which is getting really annoying.

I've figured out 2 things from this:
1. I need a UPS, because this is f'n irritating.
2. PC Power & Cooling must be doing something better than Enermax.

My main rig's got a PCP&C 510W PSU, and despite drawing a lot more power (dual Opteron 246s + 7900GTX vs. single A64 3200+ & a cheap 6600) hasn't gone down from one of these glitches yet. The server box with a 535W Enermax goes down every time though.

I use exclusively PC Power & Cooling for all 3 of my computers!

I have 2 - 510`s and a 1k !!!

Ignorant people don`t believe me when I say that the power can flicker or even go out and pop right back on and none of my PSU`s will miss a beat!!!

For some reason there is a redundancy built into the PC Power & Cooling PSU`s!
Which could also explain why some people call them a "custom built" PSU!!

Don`t get me wrong I am not saying I have 5 seconds once the electricity goes out!!
What I am saying is that when the electricity flickers or even does go out and pop right back on that is not an issue for some reason!!

Yet I am sure other top of line PSU also have some redundancy for lack of a better word when it coms to power fluctuations!!
:D

I do remember reading in several reviews over a year ago something about this also!!

Spectre said:
Sounds like a good plan. How much are you looking to spend? And use the PC Power and Cooling should handle voltage sags better.

Probably $200-300.
I might get two, depending on what I can find around here. Or maybe I'll just order a beefy one.

Based on my equipment, I probably need 1000W output capacity. Normal load would be much lower than that, but I don't want to overload the UPS if it glitches while I'm gaming.
The FC-AL array in the closet uses about 100W, 300-350 for my main rig, probably 100-150 for my server box, and then I've got 3 CRTs, so I'll figure 400W there. I could get away with 800 or so if I only hook up one monitor.

i've had this before happen. lights flickered just a tad, never lost power to my machines. anything longer though, machines take a nap ;)

OCC_Yoda said:

It is just that PC Power and Cooling has a better holdup time and better AC input range than most PSU's people have experience with. People say they are custom made because they buy PC Power and Cooling's marketing.

zandor said:
Probably $200-300.
I might get two, depending on what I can find around here. Or maybe I'll just order a beefy one.

Based on my equipment, I probably need 1000W output capacity. Normal load would be much lower than that, but I don't want to overload the UPS if it glitches while I'm gaming.
The FC-AL array in the closet uses about 100W, 300-350 for my main rig, probably 100-150 for my server box, and then I've got 3 CRTs, so I'll figure 400W there. I could get away with 800 or so if I only hook up one monitor.

You are going to want to seperate those systems out.....not the least of which is finding a UPS with enough battery protected outlets in the 200-300 range will difficult at best. As for total size...I think you may be overestimating a wee bit....but that will just result in longer runtimes.

I would look at the TrippLite SMART1500LCD's as a place to start.....they are line interactive so good but not as great as true online.

Spectre said:
You are going to want to seperate those systems out.....not the least of which is finding a UPS with enough battery protected outlets in the 200-300 range will difficult at best. As for total size...I think you may be overestimating a wee bit....but that will just result in longer runtimes.

I would look at the TrippLite SMART1500LCD's as a place to start.....they are line interactive so good but not as great as true online.

That looks interesting. I'm also still considering 2 smaller ones.
I've been poking around a bit, and it looks like APC & TrippLite are the most recommended brands around here, aside from some rather pricey stuff.

I poked around Best Buy's site since there's a store right down the street and it looks like they don't really have anything worth buying. Entry level APC (no voltage regulation) stuff, "Geek Squad" brand which I'm not touching if for no other reason than the logo, and Cyberpower. After a little poking around it looks like people have been having issues with Cyberpower UPS units. Are they any good, or are they crap as my impression indicates?
Usually I just order parts online, but a UPS is heavy enough (ie- shipping $$$) to make me consider buying locally instead.

zandor said:
That looks interesting. I'm also still considering 2 smaller ones.

Tripp-lite also makes a SMART1000LCD which you could double up on for your needs.

I've been poking around a bit, and it looks like APC & TrippLite are the most recommended brands around here, aside from some rather pricey stuff.

I poked around Best Buy's site since there's a store right down the street and it looks like they don't really have anything worth buying. Entry level APC (no voltage regulation) stuff, "Geek Squad" brand which I'm not touching if for no other reason than the logo, and Cyberpower. After a little poking around it looks like people have been having issues with Cyberpower UPS units. Are they any good, or are they crap as my impression indicates?
Usually I just order parts online, but a UPS is heavy enough (ie- shipping $$$) to make me consider buying locally instead.

APC I wouldn't recommend unless you are getting hte Smart-UPS series. Cyberpower I have limited experience with...but they area mixed bag topolgy wise and consequently appropriateness/quality like APC and TrippLite...they all make anything from Standby to online UPS's. I wouldn't say not to get a Cyberpower if it was local and met the criteria at the ned here....but buying online I wouldn't recommend them since I don't have as much expereince with them. Be sure not tot buy on name alone....look for at least Line Interactive Topology (Online is better but more expensive), AVR, and VA you need/outlets you need.

Spectre said:
It is just that PC Power and Cooling has a better holdup time and better AC input range than most PSU's people have experience with. People say they are custom made because they buy PC Power and Cooling's marketing.

We can agree to disagree!! :D

I did a little more digging, then stopped by the local Best Buy to see what they had. Turns out they had a couple things that weren't on the web site. I picked up a couple APC Back-UPS XS 1500s for just under $400. Carrying them 4 blocks home sucked a bit. Not too bad, but I suspect my arms & hips will be sore in the morning.
They've got AVR & the box says they don't use the battery in brown outs (unless it drops too low.. something has to give sooner or later) which means they can't be standby units right? Best Buy did have a lot of APC units without those markings though, so I have to assume the cheaper ones were standby UPSs.
APC's web site, of course, makes almost no mention of an XS 1500. As best I can tell it's a stripped down version of the RS 1500 as it lacks the RJ-45 ports. They do apparently have some back-ups units using a line interactive topology. Of course, the models cited apparently don't exist. There's no "Back Ups pro" in the product catalog, but I think I bought the replacement.

zandor said:
I did a little more digging, then stopped by the local Best Buy to see what they had. Turns out they had a couple things that weren't on the web site. I picked up a couple APC Back-UPS XS 1500s for just under $400. Carrying them 4 blocks home sucked a bit. Not too bad, but I suspect my arms & hips will be sore in the morning.
They've got AVR & the box says they don't use the battery in brown outs (unless it drops too low.. something has to give sooner or later) which means they can't be standby units right? Best Buy did have a lot of APC units without those markings though, so I have to assume the cheaper ones were standby UPSs.
APC's web site, of course, makes almost no mention of an XS 1500. As best I can tell it's a stripped down version of the RS 1500 as it lacks the RJ-45 ports. They do apparently have some back-ups units using a line interactive topology. Of course, the models cited apparently don't exist. There's no "Back Ups pro" in the product catalog, but I think I bought the replacement.

Yeah most of those units at Best Buy were standby.

Took me a minute to find it on APC's site but I found your unit: http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BX1500

The product literature indicates this one is a line interactive.....though from the way it is listed on APC's website and the appearance of the unit I would guess it is a discontinued model. There is of course nothing wrong with that.......may even mean you got a better deal :D

OCC_Yoda said:
I use exclusively PC Power & Cooling for all 3 of my computers!

I have 2 - 510`s and a 1k !!!

Ignorant people don`t believe me when I say that the power can flicker or even go out and pop right back on and none of my PSU`s will miss a beat!!!

For some reason there is a redundancy built into the PC Power & Cooling PSU`s!
Which could also explain why some people call them a "custom built" PSU!!

Don`t get me wrong I am not saying I have 5 seconds once the electricity goes out!!
What I am saying is that when the electricity flickers or even does go out and pop right back on that is not an issue for some reason!!

Yet I am sure other top of line PSU also have some redundancy for lack of a better word when it coms to power fluctuations!!
:D

I do remember reading in several reviews over a year ago something about this also!!

Why do you use "!"'s after every sentence you write?

Spectre said:
though from the way it is listed on APC's website and the appearance of the unit I would guess it is a discontinued model. There is of course nothing wrong with that.......may even mean you got a better deal :D
That's certainly possible. It looks just like the RS 1500 except for the missing RJ-45 plugs on the back, so perhaps it was just replaced by the RS 1500. The specs are the same as well, aside from the RJ-45 protection of course.
The RS1500 lists for $250, and these were $180 each at Best Buy, so perhaps they were on "get rid of that old stuff" pricing.

I think I made the right call getting two of these things. My main rig + 24" CRT + 5 port switch comes out to a 475W load sitting at the Windows desktop. It gets up to around 550W when gaming, so I'd be pretty close to the limit & probably have about 4-5 minutes of battery power if I had my server box & the FC-AL array in the closet on there as well.
It's no wonder I have to keep a box fan in the doorway of my office.

Hopefully these will be good solid units. No real comments on that yet, though I did try unplugging one to make sure my linux UPS software install was working. Everything seemed to work properly there, though I have yet to try a rundown test to make sure the machine shuts itself off.
I have to say I'm really quite pleased with the design though. Each one has 6 battery backed outlets and 2 "surge protected" outlets. What's particularly nice is 2 of the battery backed outlets are separated from the other 4 to accomodate power bricks and the non-battery outlets are also separated from the others.

Back