Areca 1220 problems, complaints

So I've got an Areca 1220 hooked up to the 2nd pci-e 16x slot of an a8n32 with 4 WD 320GB RE's in a hot swap cage from Newegg (Chieftec or something). I'm running Gentoo 64bit (reiser3) using gentoo-sources with the areca code hijacked from the matching -mm sources, and for the first day or so, everything was fantastic.

Then everything went, horribly, horribly wrong.

During the middle of a large copy the machine froze for no apparent reason, and when the system was brought back up everything was randomly sluggish. Suddenly it froze again, when booting back up I checked the raid event system, and it was full with read errors, but didn't specify why or what drive. Rebooting another time caused the system to lock up at "Waiting for RAID firmware...", and it repeatedly did this. The only way to fix the problems was to keep the drives off, boot the raid card, bring them back up, wait a few minutes, then reboot the system again. Of course trying to boot the O/S caused more read errors, bringing me back to the original problem of having to shut them off. I decided to run a volume check, which was slower than creating the array in the first place. The temps were fine for about 2 hours, and after I walked away the cage started beeping like crazy and I had to turn off the system, so I assume that the hd temps were somewhere in the 50-60 degrees celcius region for it to get set off (running the system for a day straight never had this problem)...

So now I'm sort of stuck with this weird problem of my brand new system having problems with the hardware thats supposed to be closest to the "Enterprise" level (I guess). I hope that the whole issue is kernel related and is fixable or I'm going to have to go with a different OS! :mad:

After some more digging it seems one of the drives was bad. Still kind of weird the Areca system took so long to identify the drive when it was failing SMART.

Gragh, damned raid edition drives!

Back