Are you waiting for the HDD prices to go back down?

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by kronik8, Apr 14, 2012.

  1. kronik8

    kronik8 Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    167
    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2002
    Just built my ZFS box (mickinfickin' Hudson chipset and no IOMMU.... rage) and I got to thinking should I just wait to buy drives (preferably 7K4000's) when prices get back to 10-20% higher than last year?

    http://camelegg.com/product/N82E16822145473?locale=US

    Is anyone else finding themselves playing the waiting game?
     
  2. mwroobel

    mwroobel [H]ardness Supreme

    Messages:
    4,942
    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    No, just buying drives as needed. Prices are down a lot already, but I don't expect them to go back to pre-flood pricing until the end of the year.
     
  3. andrewbub

    andrewbub Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    289
    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2012
    going to do a NAS box next year when hdd prices go down, right now my 1tb storage drive is more than sufficient.
     
  4. [LYL]Homer

    [LYL]Homer [H]ardness Supreme

    Messages:
    4,213
    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    I've been doing some cleaning out of stuff that I don't need to grab a little more space. I've un-duplicated some non-vital info in my WHS setup. It's modest, but I can coast this way easily until fall before I need more space.
     
  5. thedge

    thedge Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    273
    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2010
    Yes, I want eight 3TBs so im going to have to wait a while more.
     
  6. dustNbone

    dustNbone [H]ard|Gawd

    Messages:
    1,032
    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    I've decided alot more stuff can go to tape over the past months, but I'm feeling the pinch now for sure and prices are getting a little more reasonable, but I'm still waiting yes.
     
  7. Dami

    Dami [H]Lite

    Messages:
    97
    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2010
    I'm also waiting for 1tb platter drives (3 or 4tb 5400rpm) and i don't know why hitachi released 4tb 800gb platter drive...
     
  8. LightStar

    LightStar [H]Lite

    Messages:
    78
    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2009
    Yup, i'm waiting to.. Need some ssd's and 4 3tb drives.
     
  9. Earl H

    Earl H n00b

    Messages:
    10
    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2012
    Yep...need 10 more 2tb drives. Prices and reliability (for RAID use) a huge concern though.
     
  10. ALpHaMoNk

    ALpHaMoNk [H]Lite

    Messages:
    100
    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2010
    I waited as long as i good for 2tb drives, till i got a discount from the egg and was able to get them for 129.99 about what i paid for them when i first start using them some years back, so i didn't feel bad paying the same price.
     
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  11. asgards

    asgards Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    204
    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    jup, im waiting
    but i had to order 3tb just to get through it and found used 2tbs, even with 5000h+ logged its still worth it due to extended warranty
     
  12. drescherjm

    drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

    Messages:
    14,475
    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2008
    At work I have had to purchase 3 1TB hitachi 7k3000 drives in February for $120 something last week I got 3 2TB 7k3000s for $144 each which from the approved vendor is only $20 to $25 more than the before flood price.
     
  13. Hallis

    Hallis [H]ardness Supreme

    Messages:
    4,558
    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2001
    Thankfully I put my server together before the flood. So I was able to grab 13x2tb drives for ~$90 each off of a Newegg special this time last year if i remember correctly May have ben 2010 God i'm getting old.. So i'm in no real need to buy a bunch of drives right now thankfully.

    But the price of drives has had me waiting to put a new HDD in my Mac Mini and my gaming rig. But those are elective upgrades not something that HAS to be done. Right now the Q/A issues have me hesitant more than the prices.
     
  14. midnkight

    midnkight Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    218
    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    I am doing the Same. I know the Seagate 1TB Platter are out, but I wanna get 4tb for a reasonable price as much as possible. Right now, I will pay $250 or less for a 4TB Drive, Internal or External.
     
  15. J Macker

    J Macker [H]ardForum Junkie

    Messages:
    10,001
    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2001
    Yes. I want to build a home server with 4x 3TB
     
  16. mwroobel

    mwroobel [H]ardness Supreme

    Messages:
    4,942
    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    Well, you can get the Seagate 4TB USB2 external for only $210 at Provantage now http://www.provantage.com/seagate-stac4000100~7SEGS2A5.htm
     
  17. FLECOM

    FLECOM Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar Staff Member

    Messages:
    15,589
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2001
    I am waiting, will probably build out a new array towards the end of the year and upgrade one of my existing arrays...

    right now my disk arrays are holding me over (just barely though... my data is expanding fairly quickly)
     
  18. McTurkey

    McTurkey Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    244
    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2011
    I'm buying as needed. Though I'd really like to add extra drives for further duplication of critical data instead of just having two copies, I can't quite stomach the expense right now.
     
  19. _PixelNinja

    _PixelNinja [H]ard|Gawd

    Messages:
    1,460
    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2011
    Yes. I will be needing some new storage soon, but the prices are still a bit high here in Europe.
     
  20. midnkight

    midnkight Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    218
    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    I already bought two of those from another company, I am hoping I don't have to special order, since those two took over a month to get in. I am playing the waiting game. I have 2 Spare 2tb HDD from Preflood. And I got two 4TB for a awesome price. So now that i have condense all my data onto the 4tb, I have close to 6 Spare 2 TB... so purchasing storage isn't a high priority. It more waiting on 4TB 4 Platter driver that is internal that I am waiting on to show up and cost a decent price.
     
  21. JJ Johnson

    JJ Johnson Gawd

    Messages:
    801
    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2008
    Yes, I need more storage, but can't justify paying current prices. So I'll just have to wait. I don't anticipate being able to buy any new drives until at least October of this year. Possibly even into next year before prices hit pre-flood levels.
     
  22. mwroobel

    mwroobel [H]ardness Supreme

    Messages:
    4,942
    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    I honestly don't think you are going to see any favorable pricing on the 4TB drives ($/GB) until either the 5TB drives start shipping or the supply hit goes back to normal. Right now, the drive manufacturers are going to get as many drives out there as they can, so they would rather have 4 1 platter or 2 2 platter drives for sale than 1 4 platter drive (platters, especially the 1TB models are the part in least supply right now and heads are a close second.) This allows them to both supply their OEM contracts with the quantity they need (and still have drives available for retail sale) as well as keeping the largest drives at a higher premium
     
  23. Raudulfr

    Raudulfr 2[H]4U

    Messages:
    2,733
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2004
    Don't hold your breath. Prices might go down, but you'll die of old age before prices are as low as before the floods (when the greed kicked in).
     
  24. kronik8

    kronik8 Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    167
    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2002
    Sooo.. you're not waiting?
     
  25. DocSilly

    DocSilly n00b

    Messages:
    18
    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2011
    I am waiting .... I just can't afford the 12x 3TB drives right now -minimum 12 drives that is.... 24 if I go for fully loaded new NAS :eek:
     
  26. midnkight

    midnkight Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    218
    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    I am actually fine with the price. it the supply that is killing me. I am one of those people, who if I wanna buy it, I want it now or soon. I expected my first two drives within 1 week, and it got delayed for almost 2 months. That I cant handle, But if i see the 4tb seagate get back in stock with amazon per their suggest retail, I will pick up a few.
     
  27. mwroobel

    mwroobel [H]ardness Supreme

    Messages:
    4,942
    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    Well, unfortunately the 4TB external is not showing in stock anywhere, even Seagates own online store is showing out of stock. If you want to spend a bit more for a better (imo) drive, the Hitachi 4TB internal retail kit is available for $299 at http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?1194144_g10e and elsewhere. It has double the warranty of the Seagate 1 year (which is voided if you rip the drive out of an external enclosure)
     
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012