Are you happy with early Windows 8 beta?

Are you happy with Windows 8 Beta?

• YES - will replace Windows 7

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • NO - It's ackward and a bit cumbersome, 7 is fine

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • I use alternative OS

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

ShuttleLuv

Supreme [H]ardness
??? Me personally I tried it, and while BETA, it is just very cumbersome imo and they really strayed from the ease of access of windows 7.

I haven't had time to try it out yet. At this point I think I'll wait for the RC.

It's not so much that I don't like it, but I think it will be much, MUCH better suited for tablets and the like. I have had it installed on my laptop for a while and I switch to it every now and again. It's ok and some of the features are nice, but it just doesn't seem optimized for a mouse and keyboard. It really feels like a tablet OS to me. The "desktop" mode or whatever is ok, but not great. I'd rather just use 7 at this point for a desktop/laptop.

I agree, it is too tablet oriented. If i had a touchscreen it may work better, but with my mouse and keyboard it seems weird

It's not beta.

This. I think even I was guilty of calling it a beta, in a previous Windows 8 thread, but it is of course a developer preview. To answer the original question though, I'm not sure if I'm happy yet or not. I ended up installing it on my Netbook, and performance wise it seemed to run great. It booted up faster than Windows 7, and was pretty snappy launching applications.

However, since my netbook's screen has a vertical resolution of 600 pixels, and native Windows 8 (Full Screen Metro Apps) require I believe 720 pixels, I couldn't even use most of the included programs, without hooking my netbook up to an external monitor. Something I did only a couple times. I didn't get to spend much time with it, but because of the resolution issue I definitely see myself sticking with Windows 7 and/or Linux on my netbook.

In the case of my desktop, and other laptops, I'll give Windows 8 a much closer look when there actually is a beta.

need more option

I am not going to replace win 7 with 8, however I will use win 8 when it comes on a new PC that I buy.....Preview is nice.....

Other than Metro Start Screen, I liked 8. I will be disabling that when it ships. If they prevent users from disabling the Metro Start Screen, I will stay on Windows 7.

I didn't care for the Developer Preview but like always I expect I will be running it after it releases.

Other than Metro Start Screen, I liked 8. I will be disabling that when it ships. If they prevent users from disabling the Metro Start Screen, I will stay on Windows 7.

Basically my sentiments. Hopefully Metro won't be too integrated, either. (I mean things like the IE scroll bars, some dialogs, task manager, etc.)

I wasn't to impressed with it but it's to early to tell. Overall I think I'm going to be riding W7 out like I did for years w/ XP PRO.

It "might" be good on a touch screen but I wasn't impressed with it on my laptop. I'll likely try it again when it does hit Beta though. A lot can and hopefully will change by then.

A lot can and hopefully will change by then.

It will. Look at the developers previews for Internet Explorer. They give you what you need to develop. The UI comes later. With the W8 preview, it's similar. They released it so dev's can create apps for the Metro UI. They already know how to make them under the standard Windows UI.

I'm loving it, though. The Metro UI is definitely made for touchscreens and tablets, but it does so very very well.

I think it will get the same reaction as WinXP when it was released with the Luna UI. Too Fisher Price like. It will change as time goes on, and people will really enjoy it.

I like the core improvements to windows that come with Windows 8 but I'm just not sold on the idea of having the smartphone experience crammed down my throat on my desktop. Metro is going to turn Windows 8 into Windows ME 2.0.

Back