Are you Eager or Lazy?

I'll defer back to Child Of Wonder's previous post, i've been working as a consultant now for 3 months at a Cisco/Dell/VMware VAR and his post could not be more true. I'm afraid to implement thin period at some of the companies i've been too thus far.

Like I said.. It depends.

A few months ago at my previous shop.. The Vmware admin thined out her vms.. One of the VMs fell over complaining about a being out of storage. Finger was pointed at storage admin. Storage Pool still had plenty of space in it. Vmware admin over commited the data store. Hence, vmware problem.

Depends on staff, technical skill set, mindset and layout. Working for a VAR you should know by now there is no one size fits all.

Thin provisioning is the devil from a maintenance standpoint. I hate it. I would rather servers be configured with the proper disk and then extended when needed.

Anyways, eager for servers that I know will need write performance immediately and lazy for everything else. Like others have said, the difference is extremely minimal but some people are extremely anal and it makes them sleep better at night if I provision their disk as eager zero.

Lazy 99% of the time.

Thin on thin is double jeopardy, and thin in general only makes sense to me for boot disks and even then I don't do it. But I don't pay for the storage either.

Last edited:
Thin on Thin all day long. Then again, I also haven't over commited my pools either.

Thin provisioning is the way to go. I have plenty of users that demand a T in space, and only ever use 200-300 megs tops. Good trending is key, knowing your end users, and knowing what habbits they have is key.

You only get in trouble if you can't do quartly or bi-quarterly buys. If your company doesn't invest in expanding the storage footprint, then being a storage admin in that company is a no win situation. by default your company just made anything thin a bad idea and your job very dull. Anyone can be a lun cutter.

Back