Are Windows Phones all but dead?

Here is the new leaked specs of the new Microsoft Lumia phones: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Lumi...ipped-for-November-release-with-USB-C_id71765

Not that the phone need the absolute top on the line SoC, but Microsoft could go a long way if it actually uses a SD 820 before others do if it insists on using ARM just to show that Microsoft phones could be top of the line. Or just make your own SoC... There's just nothing to be excited about unless you're already a fanboy.

meh, phone specs are no longer interesting. Its all about the software and apps.

Something other than a year old HTC M8 is enough to be excited about on its own. However if an x86 phone is coming next year, I may have to hit up swappa for an icon for a while. This GS4 is going a good job of reminding me why I switched from android in the first place.

A flagship will be good for the fans, but what they need is another 520, as in a good value for the money, and stop what they are currently doing which is basically building it as cheap as possible. That's the big reason why people like Verizon aren't bothering to sell it, they aren't trying to attract high risk customers.

I had the HTC Titan when that first came out, and I loved it. I really enjoy the interface. But with the phone sales not gaining traction it does have me concerned that Windows is going to kill the phone eventually.

I've been looking at getting the Lumia Icon for a while now, but I dont know if I can commit just yet.

As someone who was/is recently looking at the 640XL as a cheap way to check out WP (using WP generically here, too many name changes to bother with) and a phablet sized phone for $250 I would say the limiting factor has become the apps.

I use very few apps on my Android, but the ones I use, I use a lot. WP is missing a number of these, and some of the ones they have appear to have limited functionality compared to their Apple/google counterparts. Office realated stuff - rockstar. Social - mostly. Banking - nope.

So maybe a flagship does get released soon. But just like WP7 and WP8 before, the lack of apps will kill it regardless of specs/cool factor and office integration. Its also tough as WP is so not about specs and pretty much everyone else is.

I have been a fan of WPs since my image-SP5 and HTC dual days back on 5 and 6.xxx. The change from 6 to 7 with a scorched earth policy for apps and then again for most between 7 and 8 broke the development community IMHO. Something from which it has never recovered.

Ill still probably pick up the 640XL to try as I wait for the late year releases as I really wanted to see what the WP is all about. Still concerned about the app situation but its time to go back to WP in my rotation.

Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0
Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.x
iPhone
Android
WP8/10?????

As someone who was/is recently looking at the 640XL as a cheap way to check out WP (using WP generically here, too many name changes to bother with) and a phablet sized phone for $250 I would say the limiting factor has become the apps.

I use very few apps on my Android, but the ones I use, I use a lot. WP is missing a number of these, and some of the ones they have appear to have limited functionality compared to their Apple/google counterparts. Office realated stuff - rockstar. Social - mostly. Banking - nope.

So maybe a flagship does get released soon. But just like WP7 and WP8 before, the lack of apps will kill it regardless of specs/cool factor and office integration. Its also tough as WP is so not about specs and pretty much everyone else is.

I have been a fan of WPs since my image-SP5 and HTC dual days back on 5 and 6.xxx. The change from 6 to 7 with a scorched earth policy for apps and then again for most between 7 and 8 broke the development community IMHO. Something from which it has never recovered.

Ill still probably pick up the 640XL to try as I wait for the late year releases as I really wanted to see what the WP is all about. Still concerned about the app situation but its time to go back to WP in my rotation.

Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0
Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.x
iPhone
Android
WP8/10?????

On a more positive note MS has for the first time ever finally done something significant about apps. It is something they should have done a long time ago but it is finally moving. That is the move to get everyone on to windows 10 and hopefully make it make more sense to develop for windows phone. Personally I think they would be even smarter if they extended the free upgrade offer all the way back to windows XP and Vista but this is better than nothing.

Like I posted a few posts above yours, it's not exactly "flagship" when it's coming out with an SD808 on one and SD810 on the bigger one in Fall of 2015... SD820 is a minimum requirement if Microsoft wants to change the way it's currently being perceived. Obviously, going x86 will also go a long way to change the perception too. At the current leaked specs is just still playing catch-up.

Once again:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Lumi...elease-with-USB-C_id71765#KrZCMPRHfPW8hPAw.97

On a more positive note MS has for the first time ever finally done something significant about apps. It is something they should have done a long time ago but it is finally moving. That is the move to get everyone on to windows 10 and hopefully make it make more sense to develop for windows phone. Personally I think they would be even smarter if they extended the free upgrade offer all the way back to windows XP and Vista but this is better than nothing.

That is a great point rudy. I have heard multiple sources say windows 10 will be the gateway to a better phone ecosystem. I want to believe them, I really do, but so far their track record is not so hot.

Every time I play with a WP I am always left thinking it would be great to have, but buying into something that will be possibly nixed without reservation makes me unsure.

I hear with 10 that phone updates will come from MS, not from the carriers. Another awesome reason WP may still have some life.

What about the rumors with Andorid app emulation? I heard something to that effect as well, but that seems like a short term stop gap measure that would node bode well for the future.

It is super easy to develop for WP and is one of the things I thought increadibly telling of WP market share. Android isn't easy but their vetting process for allowing apps on their store is almost non-existent so you are mostly left with a lot of terribly made apps, where Apple has a lot more stringent standards on their stuff and it shows in the quality of the software on their store.

If only MS could get their phones into more people's hands they could generate a bigger developer community, they could easily steal from the Android community with their pricing too.

I've often wished I could shrink my surface pro into a phone, maybe I'd finally get a smart phone if this happened.

Out of the rumored specs the colors of the phone kinda make me sad. I liked the blue of the 920 and my yellow 1020 grew one me(it is really yellow).

Anyway I kinda wish they would go to something like whatever will replace the Z3580 that the zenphone2 and really have some serious compatibility between the desktop and the phone vs the universal apps they are working on. Think of how badass continuum could be with that kinda of setup.

My 1020 is out of contract. I gotta say that I've been pretty happy with the phone. I wish the new phones had an even more crazy version of the camera mine does but 20mp should be fine.

Obviously, going x86 will also go a long way to change the perception too. At the current leaked specs is just still playing catch-up.

I'm not sure why you think going x86 would change anything. It wont get consumer to buy the phone and it wont get developers to write apps for it.

I'm not sure why you think going x86 would change anything. It wont get consumer to buy the phone and it wont get developers to write apps for it.

I think a top end phone that could run x86 Windows apps when docked would sell very well and I think would spark interest in universal apps that can be used on a phone or with an external monitor connected to a mouse and keyboard. I think it's something that Microsoft at least should attempt.

I almost picked up a WP device just so I could play that Samurai game ... then the Surface came out

I'm not sure why you don't think... so there goes your argument out the window...

Stylus support on the larger model may be as much about matching the Galaxy Note on features as playing on Microsoft's longstanding pen fetish. It's table stakes rather than a decisive victory.

However, I do think that this feature and the iris scanning may finally address one of Windows' longstanding mobile problems -- the "why should I get this over an iPhone or Android phone?" question. So far, Windows Phone's main selling points have been the cameras on a few models, and personal taste in interfaces. It sounds like the Lumia 950/XL may do things that are Windows specialties, rather than simply trying to keep up with what everyone else is doing.

950XL is interesting - I wonder if it would be possible to make one with x86 cpu and full desktop windows 10 to sell as Surface Phone

Unfortunately, perception is what it is all about. Even then, I love my HTC One M8 for Windows which is very fast.

Last edited:
Stylus support on the larger model may be as much about matching the Galaxy Note on features as playing on Microsoft's longstanding pen fetish. It's table stakes rather than a decisive victory.

While I agree with this being matching a competitor's feature set I also think is about the idea of "Surface" phone. The Surface brand seems to be doing extremely well for Microsoft and Panos Panay, the Surface executive leader, has gotten a big vote of confidence and is now over all premium devices including these phones. While pens are niche they are critical to the Surface line. So it's pretty natural that a "Surface" phone would have pen support.

While I agree with this being matching a competitor's feature set I also think is about the idea of "Surface" phone. The Surface brand seems to be doing extremely well for Microsoft and Panos Panay, the Surface executive leader, has gotten a big vote of confidence and is now over all premium devices including these phones. While pens are niche they are critical to the Surface line. So it's pretty natural that a "Surface" phone would have pen support.

Yeah, I could certainly see that synergy. Like drawing on your Surface Pro? You can do that on your phone, too.

Yeah, I could certainly see that synergy. Like drawing on your Surface Pro? You can do that on your phone, too.

Exactly. And I get that pens are niche but it's a very loyal niche that will spend money for the privilege.

They fucked up early on, and continue to fuckup to some degree. Microsoft made the classic microsoft mistake of trying to dictate consumer behavior on their phones instead of providing a platform

Soft keys not impressed, apparently plastic body too, not that plastic bothers me but it wont be the high end material the masses are looking for.

Last edited:
Soft keys not impressed, apparently plastic body too, not that plastic bothers me but it wont be the high end material the masses are looking for.

Metal and polycarbonate isn't good enough for you?

Back