are vista msdn and retail keys the same?

Eva_Unit_0

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok here's the deal. I have a copy of Vista Business from MSDNAA at my university. The ISO that they gave us to download is, of course, the 32-bit version. I'm aware that the keys work for both 32 and 64 bit versions. However, if I wanted to install 64-bit using my MSDNAA key, what kind of media would I use? Could I use a retail Vista Business disc, or do I need a special MSDN one?

I remember with XP the MSDNAA keys did not work with retail discs because I tried it once. Where could I get a suitable 64-bit iso to install vista with? Will microsoft send me one? I doubt it, because I didn't pay for the copy of vista.

Any ideas?

Retail disks with work with the MSDNAA license, so yes you can use a retail x64 disk with your key.

Vista has only 2 Disc Images: 32-bit and 64-bit. All the different SKUs are on the same disc. Just use any old 64-bit disc.

I used my MSDNAA Vista Business code to activate a version of Vista I didn't even get from the school.

Vista has only 2 Disc Images: 32-bit and 64-bit. All the different SKUs are on the same disc. Just use any old 64-bit disc.

Not sure in what context you mean, but the discs/images that MS volume licensing provides are quite different for Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate.

....No, they're really not. Only a single disc is built, and what's installed depends on what serial you provide.

....No, they're really not. Only a single disc is built, and what's installed depends on what serial you provide.

So do you mean that I can even use an Ultimate or Home Premium disc to install Business, because it tailors itself to my Business key?

Sorry, I'm kind of noobish when it comes to vista. I've had this Vista key for like over a year now and I've never used it haha.

I will state this though. E-machine serial numbers refuse to work with any other OEM disk. We have a combo 64-bit and 32-bit disc we use at work that workrs with EVERY brand BUT e-machines and also some gateway keys.. but they are basically the same company.

Back