Are TV Manufacturers using TN now?

jonny4

Weaksauce
I am looking for a multi display setup before the end of the year.The TV manufacturers used to only use good panels. I am just wondering if they have started using crappy tn panels yet and how can I tell?

I think they usually use PVA and IPS. TV's need the wide viewing angles - so it would be pretty easy to tell. They can also use very aggressive overdrive because input lag isn't a problem..

They can also use very aggressive overdrive because input lag isn't a problem..

Input lag IS a problem on TVs. They do a lot of image processing between source and display. Also, overdrive and input lag are 2 different things and have nothing to do with each other.

@jonny4
You MAY find TN panels in smaller screens (<= 32"). All lcd panels in 37"+ contain VA and IPS variants (AFAIK, never seen anything else ever). If you are going to purchase anything, I suggest researching that particular model to make sure you're getting a decent panel (not all VA and IPS panels are equal, some are pretty crappy).

Last edited:
> Input lag IS a problem on TVs. They do a lot of image processing
> between source and display.

For watching TV, input lag shouldn't be a problem unless it is
really long. E.g. 10 minutes lag would be a real pain. :)

This assumes they delay the audio to match. Given how many
other things they get wrong, that might not be a safe assumption!

I'm not sure at what point input lag would be a problem for
vanilla computing, e.g. you move the mouse and at takes
awhile for the screen to update.

It is normally gamers that care about input lag.

> Input lag IS a problem on TVs. They do a lot of image processing
> between source and display.

For watching TV, input lag shouldn't be a problem unless it is
really long. E.g. 10 minutes lag would be a real pain. :)

This assumes they delay the audio to match. Given how many
other things they get wrong, that might not be a safe assumption!

I'm not sure at what point input lag would be a problem for
vanilla computing, e.g. you move the mouse and at takes
awhile for the screen to update.

It is normally gamers that care about input lag.

What TV has 10 minute lag??? Throw that thing in the trash... lol

I've only seen TVs with lag ranging from 40-100ms. If you pick the right model, you'll get it between 20-50ms (anything over 30ms tends to be noticeable). You still have to worry about 4:4:4 chroma with TVs. Most TVs are completely unsuitable for PC use because of input lag and chroma support. Even if you have the input set to "PC" or "GAME" mode, that doesn't mean it's going to work well. There's huge threads on this here and in the AVS forums. Only a few select models pass these tests. The last one I remember doing well was the LG LD450. Some Sonys did ok, but didn't support 4:4:4, it was more like 4:4:2, but that's better than the 4:2:2 on most TVs.

Other then for HTPC use I don't understand why people want to use TVs as a computer displays.

Between the terrible dot pitch and massive amounts of post processing/scaling/other input lag causing stuff it's like the worst of all worlds.

Other then for HTPC use I don't understand why people want to use TVs as a computer displays.

Between the terrible dot pitch and massive amounts of post processing/scaling/other input lag causing stuff it's like the worst of all worlds.

I saw a lot of people go for 32" models (like the LG LE5300) when then went on sale for $300-400 back around xmas (which had minimal post processing effects and cost the same as a lot of the 27" TNs at the time). It makes for nice gaming and the size/cost ratio is very nice for those that can't afford a $1000/30" Dell/HP/etc.... Then it also depends on how far away you sit. I honestly prefer my 42" to my Eyefinity setup for games because there's no bezel. So it's a trade-off between resolution and bezels for me (they are pretty much the same size).

Last edited:
I think GuyClinch was saying that high input lag isn't a problem when watching TV. That mean they can get away with "slow" panels by using overdrive.

I've had two roomates use TVs for monitors and they were happy.

pmpysz writes:
> What TV has 10 minute lag???

Hopefully none. An exaggerated number to show that input lag
could be bad for TV watching if it were long enough.

Chris F writes:
> Other then for HTPC use I don't understand why people want
> to use TVs as a computer displays.

Having trouble finding a decent monitor (glossy, true 8 bit, ...)
so expanding the search into TVs. The LG IPS panels used in
a lot on monitors have quality control problems (tinting,
backlight bleed, ...) Panasonic make IPS TVs, and have a low
repair rate, but aren't fully glossy, and don't pass the 4:4:4 test.
Then there is the problem that the smaller TVs that would be
reasonable on a desk don't have the features that the large sets have.

It could also make sense if you have limited living space, such
as a dorm room or motor home.

If you're willing to live with 1080 resolution, there is no
reason they couldn't make a TV that is good at being a computer
monitor. Whether anyone actually does make such a TV is the
question.

What happened to this convergence we were hearing so much about?
The only convergence I see is that there are fewer and fewer 1920x1200
monitors, replaced by 1920x1080. And 30" 2560x1600 is being
replaced by 27" 2560x1440. Fewer pixels is not an improvement.
There is nothing magical about 16:9. And most of these displays
are not well suited to watching TV.

Been using a 32 inch sharp aquos 1080p as my main monitor for almost 4 years now for gaming with no issues, sharp swears it has a 10 bit panel. I think the newer ones are worse because they have added so much crap to the systems.

Back