Are these temps okay?

with antec 620 and no oc, idle is at 37c, load at 63c. i think i put too much paste and dont know if the pump is seated correctly but temps should tell me if there is anything wrong. also its just one fan exhaust.

Did you put more than a 1/2 pea sized amount?

yes, a bean sized one.

like this (not a real pic):
1vlTs.jpg

a little less than this, not as bulky but takes the same space:

timxuv.jpg

but a bit more than this:

action1.jpg

actually this is the most accurate:

applyingthermalcompound.jpg

DIY14.bmp

if you guys think this is dangerous tell me.

Last edited:
They use probe and you monitoring software..

Btw bought H100 today and i am f.. impressed a lot....

i'm not sure if you can compare temps directly with hardocp. If you look below the chart, you will see this below:
CoreTemp Load: 59-56-58-55

Hardocp integrates a temperature diode directly into their i7 920 into the heatspreader itself, and i'm not sure how much difference there is between this temp and the core temperature.

even though that core temp number i told you to look at plainly shows an average of 57 degrees celcius?

Maybe intel jacks up their ondie temp sensors for safety reasons? I dont know.

I just know i'm looking at the chart and the coretemp numbers, and there's about 17 degress difference on load...

i dont understand why is the graph different from coretemps? Which one can i compare with? I use Real Temp .

i would download coretemp to verify, but i think real temp will probably give you a similar reading to coretemp.

I'm not sure why there is a such a big difference. Maybe there really is a pretty big difference between die temperature and heatspreader temp, a lot of the heat could bleed through the back of the cpu i suppose.

I used arctic mx-4, i think its non conductive so it shouldnt short it. I think i'll be redoing it again because i just know it was way too much.

well it aint gonna be 20c difference either way.

Sure it could be. Intel core temps are measuring the hottest part of the die, its a worst case scenario. [H] temps are measuring the temp of the heat spreader using a probe, so they are only comparable to other results on [H]. Neither method is 100% accurate, however you can't compare the two at all.

Look at the [H] overclocked results, the probe was measuring 50C and the core temps were reporting 79C, that is a 29C difference between the probe and the core temps.

Your temps are normal, redoing the thermal compound might change your temps 1 or 2C, if at all. Based on the pics and example, you have an OK amount of compound on there. I think you are just convinced there is something wrong and feel the need to change it. Having seen this repeatedly, I think people are more likely to screw something up than they are to make an improvement.

I run my i7 (actually a Xeon W3540) but equiv to a i7 940 at 4Ghz and fold on it all of the time (except in the summer when the power bill is tiered and gets EXPENSIVE). When folding it runs 80-90c. Perfectly stable, been this way for a about a year and a half now. Honestly years ago I would stick with under 70c but the newer chips can run fine up to much hotter temps.

Back