Are these Temps odd?

I have an X800XL and i OC it, yet no matter how much stress i put on the core, the temp will never increase more than 3 degrees. it idles at 50C and ful load at 53C, for the RAM though its another problem. it idles at 26C yet at full load when OC'd it goes all the way up to 50C, should i be worried that the card is giving me bad info, and what can i do to cool the RAM better because i already have a lot of airflow in that area

Agromahdi123 said:
I have an X800XL and i OC it, yet no matter how much stress i put on the core, the temp will never increase more than 3 degrees. it idles at 50C and ful load at 53C, for the RAM though its another problem. it idles at 26C yet at full load when OC'd it goes all the way up to 50C, should i be worried that the card is giving me bad info, and what can i do to cool the RAM better because i already have a lot of airflow in that area

Sounds to me like the active cooler over the gpu is doing it's job, however, the passive memory coolers (if any exist) aren't doing much for you.
I'd say blowing air directly over the entire card (through the use of a slot cooler, or swing-arm cooler ) would help you greatly.

Hmm . . . those numbers don't sound right at all. I have an ATI Silencer 5 Rev. 2 on my X800XL and when running @ 460/1150, the idle temps are around 36-38C while the load temps go up to about 54C . . . a +3C change seems very unlikely especially if you're using the ASUS cooler (are you?) What are you using to monitor the temps because it seems to me that either the idle or load temps (or possible both) are wrong . . .

I have a 20" window fan blowing through the side of my case so that really helps in cooling down the other parts of the card other than the core. But a PCI slot cooler would work also . . .

i use both everest and ATI tray tools to read the temps from the sensor which everest reads as a fintek sensor. It has the asus cooler on it not the ATI spec cooler. I have the ABIT Slipstream, which is a fancy word for like a 50mm fan that is used for cooling SLI cards cooling my card as well, and i have a dedicated 80mm for that cooling zone.

Agromahdi123 said:
i use both everest and ATI tray tools to read the temps from the sensor which everest reads as a fintek sensor. It has the asus cooler on it not the ATI spec cooler. I have the ABIT Slipstream, which is a fancy word for like a 50mm fan that is used for cooling SLI cards cooling my card as well, and i have a dedicated 80mm for that cooling zone.

Yeah, a 3C rise seems unlikely in your situation. I would say that your idle should be lower. I remember that even my stock ATI cooler (which was Al not Cu and less efficient than the ASUS cooler) ran below 50C idle without using any additional cooling . . .

Um.... How are you getting your RAM temperatures? The temp on the right in ATI Tool isn't RAM, it's ambient ;)

My X800XT idles ~38, and peaks ~55. My guess is that either you're not actually OCing, that you've got a faulty temp sensor, or that the card is (somehow) running full tilt the entire time.

Gillette said:
Um.... How are you getting your RAM temperatures? The temp on the right in ATI Tool isn't RAM, it's ambient ;)

My X800XT idles ~38, and peaks ~55. My guess is that either you're not actually OCing, that you've got a faulty temp sensor, or that the card is (somehow) running full tilt the entire time.
hmm thats an interesting idea, i mean OC'ing shows FPS improvement in both synthetic benchmarks, as well as gaming. I will look into faulty temp sensor and card running full tilt. But do you think i could fix either of those problems without resorting to RMA?

Back