Are these PWMs? (pic)

Qveon

2[H]4U
Are these PWMs that i have circled in yellow? And does anyone know i those are PWM1 or PWM2 and where the other set of PWMs are?
pwms.JPG

Thanks

yep that is the area they are at, if you wanna cool em get a zalman fan bracket and slam a 92mm fan over em and you wont have a problem with them even ocing

I have that board too and I've had no problems with it at all OC'ing. Are you water cooling, or are you using air cooling?

If water cooling, you will need to have some kind of active cooling hitting many of those components in order to make the board stable at high OC's.

Qveon said:
Are these PWMs that i have circled in yellow? And does anyone know i those are PWM1 or PWM2 and where the other set of PWMs are?
pwms.JPG

Thanks

They are FET's, Field effect transistors...

We have always called them MOSFETs. Here in the last six months they all of a sudden became PWMs. The ones pictured are an older style used. If you check out some of the newer boards we have reviewed you will see the newer PWMs.

I have also always known them as MOSFETs. The reference I know that uses PWMs are pulse width modulators, and I do not believe that is what PWM stands for in this case. Would someone care to enlighten me on what PWM stand for in this case?

Yeah PWM doesn't have anything to do with voltage regulators, in this case those are MOSFETS, PWM is used to regulate the RPM's of DC motors (Vent's in this case).....and yeah....why do they call them PWM's ???? :confused:

It is simple. Somebody who 1/10 understands what they are talking about starts using big words related to the topic. People who know nothing about the topic think that the person who knows little actually knows alot. The end result is that the people who know alot are ignored because a babbling idiot did not understand the technical terms.

----

The devices circled are FETs (field effect transitors). They may or may not be MOSFET (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transitor) but typicaly are. In order to create the voltage a pulse-width-modulation (PWM) technique is applied to the FET. The key to making the PWM technique work is the inductor(s) (donuts with wires wrapped around them in this case) which generates a constant current source which allows the chopped voltage to be smooth out into an average value. The simpliest form before the P3 was a single phase buck regulator. Easy to build and easy to understand. With the lower voltages and higher currents has forced the switched-power regulator world to switch to multiple phases to to both keep inductor size in check as well as ripple.

Most motherboards implement a standard three phase buck regulator. Once dual-cores start becomig more prevalent you could be seeing 6-phase due to again higher currents and lower voltages but increasing power.

Back