• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Are these PSU's Any Good?

occhief

n00b
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
34
I just purchased (3) DX-400WPS Dynex 400W power supplies for repairing older computers.

I was wondering also if the Rocketfish RF-550WPS was a decent power supply?
 
Doubt it on both.

CX430 V2 for $16 on sale at Newegg at the moment, great quality power supply and very cheap.
 
The kind of company will never offer a good, safe and durable power supply. You need to spend 70-100 $ to have good power supply that you will keep during many pc build.
 
well, too late for the Dynex I already ordered, good thing they only cost me $13 a piece and free shipping.
link to the Dynex http://www.dynexproducts.com/cms/documents/DX-400WPS_09-1153_WEB_V3_ENG_Final lr.pdf

The kind of company will never offer a good, safe and durable power supply. You need to spend 70-100 $ to have good power supply that you will keep during many pc build.
I doubt that, I bought the one in my signature on sale for $20. Its now sells for $60 on the egg:eek:.
 
Last edited:
I agree with cost not being an indicator of quality. However, those two companies are not known for making good power supplies. OCZ has power supplies ranging from crap to mediocre to very good, that modxstream sits somewhere in the mediocre-good range.
 
O yeah sure, the price is not an indicator of quality in ALL company. I trust corsair, enermax, silverstone, seasonic for power supply. The price range is more applicable in this power supply company.
 
Actually, they make crap, period. Doesn't matter how expensive they are, they're still not good.
 
I would honestly have a colonoscopy over a Dynex. We carried Dynex 480Watts in our store, we sold about ~15 of them and 10 of them came back bad. They were so light you couldn't even bludgeon someone to death with it.
 
Wow I just wasted $40 bucks... Would these Dynex PSUs Power lower end stuff like P4s and Athlon 64s and older dual core computers? That's all I need?
 
Last edited:
Wow I just wasted $40 bucks... Would these Dynex PSUs Power lower end stuff like P4s and Athlon 64s and older dual core computers? That's all I need?

Actually, some of the P4 CPUs by themselves eat up nearly half of the real usable power output of those Dynex PSUs. Add even a mid-level GPU and a hard drive of that era (remember, CPUs and GPUs of years past were less power-efficient than current CPUs and GPUs in general) and you'd already come close to taxing the real capacity of those Dynex PSUs at medium load.

As a result, the system might power on with the Dynex PSU - but the system would certainly not last long at all. In fact, some of those systems might very well be killed off with a very loud pop within only a few minutes of operation with such a really shitty PSU.
 
I just purchased (3) DX-400WPS Dynex 400W power supplies for repairing older computers.

I was wondering also if the Rocketfish RF-550WPS was a decent power supply?
This would probably gives you the final answer:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/05/13/getting_best_buy_on_power_supply/
Adding insult to the injury, the unit’s PCB indicates that the power supply is supposed to be a 200-300w unit. This 200w-300w marking turned out to be prophetic as the unit was capable of doing 200w's but was capable of destroying test equipment when 300watts were attempted

Exactly the DX-400WPS in that review.I couldn't find the review of RF-550WPS but [H] had the one for RF-700WPS,should be the same.
 
What about a HEC HP585D? My brother is using that one to power a Athlon II X4 620 and a Radeon 4870 and it has been working well for over a year.
 
What about a HEC HP585D? My brother is using that one to power a Athlon II X4 620 and a Radeon 4870 and it has been working well for over a year.

I can't recommend it, either: It too can't deliver anywhere close to its advertised wattage rating without having its ripple go way out of spec or exploding.

By the way, the biggest reason your brother's system lasted this long with that HEC PSU is that his core components put together do not draw anywhere close to 350W (the "580W" HEC's maximum comfortable power output) from that PSU even at full load. The Athlon II x4 620 and the HD 4870 put together draws only about 225W. But still, I would not purchase a so-called "high-wattage" PSU that can't deliver its claimed wattage under realistic operating conditions.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top