are these good speakers

I would seriously suggest to instead buy a receiver and bookshelf speakers, and add to it over time. I used to have Klipsch Promedia 5.1 speakers, and various HTIB setups, and it just doesn't compare.

Get a Harman Kardon receiver, a pair of Polk RTi bookshelves, and a sub. You can probably get all that for under $500 and have a great system to build off of, and something that will last as long as you wish to keep it and sound MUCH better.

Agreed. Avoid HTIB setups. Just get a nice set of bookshelves and a receiver.

check accessories4less for refurbished receivers for a good price

Do you have a certain budget you are looking at?

$250-300

could I buy the logitech z906 and use the promedia speakers instead of the logitech ones.

Craigslist and audiogon (search via zip) can get you nice local deals that you can actually hear before you buy. Plus used audio gear, especially of decent quality, last forever.

Craigslist and audiogon (search via zip) can get you nice local deals that you can actually hear before you buy. Plus used audio gear, especially of decent quality, last forever.

Yup. With that budget it is a little tough if you are needing both a amp (receiver) and speakers.

$250-300

could I buy the logitech z906 and use the promedia speakers instead of the logitech ones.

You could actually buy a receiver and still use the promedia speakers. That will be a good foundation to build off of over time. Just make sure to get a receiver that handles low impedance pretty well. That's why I recommended HK.

Couldnt agree more. Bookshelf speakers will sound much better than HTIB speakers that are built on a budget using very small drivers. Start off with a good receiver, and Onkyo is good stuff, and build from there. Itll be well worth it.

Ok I decided just to buy a receiver and use my promedia speakers for now, what is a good receiver to go with that is within my budget.

Ok I decided just to buy a receiver and use my promedia speakers for now, what is a good receiver to go with that is within my budget.

Good start.

Go with Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo in that order. Any modern receiver by those companies in your price range will be great.

Last edited:
Good start.

Go with Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo in that order. Any modern receiver by those companies in your price range will be great.

Why in that order? Just curious?

I have been in the H-T scene for a while and am enthusiast. I would actually put Denon last. Cheapest made receiver of the group. Onkyo is the most bang for your buck, and has the best SQ IMO, especially on the high end receivers. Yamaha is good also, good sound. Denon has the most laid back sound of the three.

Audyssey is why. Onkyo did not have it before, now it does I see. My bad. Have a sinus headache and brain not good doing....lol

So you are right then b/c onkyo does sound the best overall. With Audyssey that is the ticket. Makes it noob friendly setting up surround.

Audyssey is why. Onkyo did not have it before, now it does I see. My bad. Have a sinus headache and brain not good doing....lol

So you are right then b/c onkyo does sound the best overall. With Audyssey that is the ticket. Makes it noob friendly setting up surround.

But hey I am biased. I love my Onkyo 3008! Sounds so good with XT32! Of course it is in my H-T not office lol

I've got a yamaha in the living room and an OLD(early 90s) onkyo stereo receiver here in the office. Both work very well. I'd say denon and yamaha might be slightly higher quality, but onkyo has pretty good bang for buck right now. HK and pioneer might also be options.

I would like a list of specific model if that is possible and a link to pricing. Thanks for all your help.

Good start.

Those are good recommednations, but I would move Yamaha to the end of that list. I would also recommend Harman Kardon, tied for first placed with Denon. Then Onkyo and Yamaha. Yamaha tends to be a bit harsh in the trebble ranges, probably especially so with small speakers like the promedias.

Back